Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question about cats spraying indoors >

Question about cats spraying indoors

Question about cats spraying indoors

Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 PM

One of my daughter's female cats does the same thing. Has been for several years. Been checked and no medical issues. She also likes to poop outside the box. My daughter wouldn't consider getting rid of her because the next home may not be so kind about her problems, but she is causing my daughter a lot of stress.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 PM

About the cat being out in the cold, I had to leave Oklahoma unexpectedly last November because my dad fell and broke his hip in Florida and I had to go help out. I tried taking my adopted cat, Missy, to the Humane Society, but they couldn't take her. I had no option but to leave her outside and have the neighbors feed her.

O course, we had one of the coldest winters since 1960. The Grand Lake O' the Cherokees, which I live on, totally froze over and it has NEVER froze over as long as I have been here. When I got back at the end of January, there was Missy!! None the worse for wear! The lady who fed her said that when she would pet her, she always felt warm, so she was finding some place to keep warm. Under the garden shed, I think.

Anyway, if you have to leave her out, she will probably be okay. You could also put a heating pad out in her box. They have them for kittens that don't get too warm.

Anyway, good luck!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:12 PM

I had a cat that all of a sudden sprayed or urinated anywhere but her litter box. She had a bladder infection the first time and a kidney infection the second time. The vet told me that with these infections they can get irritated and the feel of litter can bother them. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:14 AM

I've had 30 cats at one time (I got "volunteered" as the rescue home after Pet's Fate closed it's doors in our town) and had only 1 cat (a spayed female) that sprayed. After a check-up with the vet, and no health issues could be found, the vet believed the cat was naturally high-strung and wanted all the other cats to believe she had the right to all the territory. In other words, it was her way of responding to stress. She was given a medication, sort of the feline version of an anti-depressant, for use only when she showed signs of stress (spraying), and she was fine after that. Unfortunately, that beautiful Calico passed way and I miss her dearly. If a vet told you to put the cat down for spraying, I'd find another vet. If you don't want to go the chemical route try cat-nip....even though it is a stimulant for cats, once the craziness wears off, they calm down quite a bit. I always give my cats (I now am down to 6) a little before having to travel and they end up sleeping the whole trip.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM

I've never heard of a female cat spraying. Strange. But my theory about this is that they do it to mark their territory, especially strays, because they are making their hunting grounds and warning off intruders. If you have other cats in the house, the same thing happens. Cats will stake out territory even inside the house. My guess is that she might stop if she's in a home by herself without other cats. She may mark her territory at first, but then she should stop.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 AM

I've been in cat rescue for 14 years. Both genders will inappropriately urinate. Usually due to stress/behavior issues or urinary tract infections. In all my years, I've had 3 females inappropriately urinate in my house, no males.

If you plan to take this girl in, here are my suggestions:
- test for UTI.
- keep confined to bathroom/laundry room for at least 2-3 weeks (takes a few weeks to built a new habit).
- Use "Cat Attract" scoopable cat litter (found at most pet stores).
- Keep food away from litter area (who wants to eat in/near an outhouse?)
- Use a NEW, plain, plastic tray litter box (no hooded, electronic maid, fancy litter box).
- Use Feliway pheremones or "love my litterbox" flower essences to help restore calm and comfort to the cat so that stress is less likely to be an issue.

I offer the above recommendations for people all the time who want to give up their cat because they cannot stand the peeing anymore. They call shelters and rescues to take their pet (hoping to save their lives). Most are too full to take them in but offer the reccomendations I have listed above.

As for the vet, I have heard of vets recommending putting an animal down for this issue before. I WISH they tried harder and offered more suggestions (as I do) to clear this behavior. I "THINK" their point of view MIGHT be is: when you have an owner who is frustrated by this behavior (and tests have found it not to be a medical problem) they often will rehome the cat to others who might end up neglecting/abusing the animal for this behavior trait. Others might let an indoor-only cat outside to live who is not as well equiped for outdoor life (thus causing suffering and often an early death for various reasons). So for some vets, peaceful euthanasia is a more humane solution to a difficult problem (it ends the owners frustrations and prevent the cat from ever suffering).

Over TEN THOUSAND homeless dogs/cats are destroyed EVERY DAY in this country because there just are not enough homes for them all. Another resource for the rest of your outdoor feral kitties is: http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=191

They will help you "manage" your feral cat colony. In the winter time, you can set out old dog igloos/houses filled with straw/hay for winter shelters. My friend managed a rather large colony and used disposible styrofoam coolers. She glued the lid on tight, cut a small hole in the side of the cooler for entry/exit and laid the cooler on it's side (more stable) inside a large grouping of bushes and weighted it down with a few rocks on top and some branches to disguise the stark whiteness (until snowfall).
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

We found a stray a few years ago I am sure someone dropped her of in my sub division knowing someone would take her in. We took her to the vet she was pregnant and we brought her home andinside she came. I hated it she would spray all over. We had to watch her all the tme if e weren't watching her we had to put her in the laundry room. She would poo in the litter box but not pee/ Why I do not know she would pee next to it or 2 feet in front of it but never in the box. After 4 years of this, yes I waited 4 years I FINALLY had enough of put her outside. When I moved inot my house there were a lot of strays so I got an insulated dog house that is on the deck. This will be Wednesdays first winter ouside I hope she finds her way into the dog house. She d sleep in it from time to time over the summer. Actually she was missing for about 3 weeks during the summer at the time we thought someone must have taken her in. She is BEAUTIFUL a white tiger strip with HUGE blue eyes. I came to realize if someone did take her in and she was spraying their house they put her out too.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM

as i understand this, you are caring for your neighbor's cat. the neighbor doesn't let the cat inside because the cat sprays, is that right? so, does the woman take care of the cat at all? feed it or keep it warm at night? if the cat gets sick, will she take it to the vet? does she want the cat, because it sounds like the cat might now be yours. before you worry yourself sick over this, find out if the woman really wants the cat. maybe the cat really does belong to you.

if the cat belongs to you, you might slowly start to bring it in. whatever the reason was that it sprayed before, it may be fine with you. some 'marriages' aren't made in heaven, and the cat-neighbor one may be one of those. but you might be the perfect match. since it seemed interested in your cat through the window, it may want cat company, who knows? but find out first who owns that cat - you or she. no misunderstandings later.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:08 PM

Hi - I have had cats for several years and at the present I have 6 (3 neutered males and 3 spayed females - all indoor). I has been my experiece that if a cat sprays a lot then it is usually caused from stress which in turn can turn into a urinary tract infection and this is the cats way of telling you that he/she is in pain. In most cases the vet will put the cat on antibiotics for about 10 days. I can't imagine a vet suggesting that you have the cat 'put down' because the cat will always spray. I think you need to find another vet. Anyway, good luck and I hope it all turns out good for you!

carrollcats
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 PM

I agree with all of the above. don't foresake her.