Question about curtains

Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I would go to Nancy's Notions. She should have something. First time I've seen tabs on front, unless they were on top. Usually, on top or in back.
these are pretty. i would make a set for my kitchen window too, or sewing room.

tabs on front was a popular "country look" a few years back. i have a pair in my entry custom made for this house's previous owner. green velvet & very semi-for al looking. i agree w all above suggestions. i have never used a pattern for my drapes or curtains. i measure window and work out what i can do w the amount i have of the fabric i am determine to use. on tje tabs, also agree with pin and play w theor placement. decide the depth of the folds you like and then stitch in place.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I know it is cheating but can you go to a store that sells something similar and measure???
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
I know it is cheating but can you go to a store that sells something similar and measure???
i don't think so. i have copied ideas out of sales flyers, catalogues. gone to store...seen what i like, taken a few measurements, go home and duplicate. same w cooking. years ago i was asked to make a type of dressing i had never heard of ..we all cooked from scratch, i hadn't started collecting old cookbooks yet. so, went to store found several diff brands read the ingredients went home and amd created my version, which was a big hit. do it...go look, measure ..get the info you need. and if a pushy clerk asks...you are measuring to make sure they will work, but you have to go home and think about them. and it's not a lie. )
Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 AM

I would make the fabric at least 2 times the width of the window. I really like the tabs too. Drapery is at least 2 times, and soft curtains is at least 3 times.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:04 AM

I love the tabs on the front, I've never seen curtains like this but they sure are cute. It does't look like it is the traditional extra width but just enough to make the folds between the tabs. I may have to copy the pattern, I need to make a shower curtain for my freshly painted bathroom. My concern will be making the tabs and top of the curtain to hold the weight of the fabric without falling forward. Please post your curtains when they are made.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 AM

I have a set like made like this in my kitchen -took valance down- My window is 32 wide curtain is 48. The tabs are placed as follows =End tabs are 1 1/2 inch in from side hems then fold in 1/2 to place center tab - folded in 1/2 again are the next 2 tabs etc etc . Mine has 9 tabs but they are narrower then your picture and the fabric is not as heavy either. I like sunshine to be able to get through even if curtains are pulled. Sides and bottom hem's finish at 1 inch and the top is 2 1/2 inches finished. Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I would take the curtain you have and measure it and go from there....
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Do you see how the inside bump of the valance just rests against the wall? You want the tabs close enough that you get nice inward bump but not so much that it bunches up too much fabric. I would make my tabs and pin them along the valance to get a nice look.
I agree with this idea plus the 2 times the width. This is a great design because the tabs are added last and you may pin them on and decide what looks best. This is a great design.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
I have a set like made like this in my kitchen -took valance down- My window is 32 wide curtain is 48. The tabs are placed as follows =End tabs are 1 1/2 inch in from side hems then fold in 1/2 to place center tab - folded in 1/2 again are the next 2 tabs etc etc . Mine has 9 tabs but they are narrower then your picture and the fabric is not as heavy either. I like sunshine to be able to get through even if curtains are pulled. Sides and bottom hem's finish at 1 inch and the top is 2 1/2 inches finished. Hope this helps.
What LENGTH is the valance? It looks less than the 'normal' 14" valance. I was thinking that valance could be 'lined' by using the fabric you want for the bottom and top hems. I would cut the lining fabric to allow for the top & bottom 'hems', plus seams. You could sew the bottom seams first, measure the width you want for the 'hem', fold back and around to the top; turn under your seam and top stitch. What a nice looking curtain with so many possibilities.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
I am so glad I revisited this thread. Thanks for the measurements!