Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: question about hanging picures

question about hanging picures

We have repainted our bedroom walls. DH fixed all the nail holes. I want to hang a few pictures but don't want to mar the wall. Someone suggested 3M hangers...not sure if I got the name right (haven't had my morning coffee).
    There are instructions for using them but how do you remove the hangers without damaging the walls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTGw28k9OkI
    this shows how to remove them

The 'command' hangers that I've seen advertised have a little tab to pull to remove them from the walls when done using them or wanting to move. Apparently they are re-usable.

Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate it.
    I must have been still half-asleep. I never thought to check the internet/youtube for instructions.

They are great. I use them all over the house and not just for hanging pictures. You can buy them according to the weight of the object and the size.

For anything really heavy, like a large mirror, I recommend hercules hooks, they really work, and very small hole left in wall.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by tapper View Post
    Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate it.
    I must have been still half-asleep. I never thought to check the internet/youtube for instructions.
    I think it also illustrates or states on packaging how to install and remove....

You might also try this picture hanging tool. It will still leave a mark on your wall, but it is minimal, and only one. I always used the approach of driving the nail in and if it wasn't quite right, I'd move it b/c, after all, the picture hides the multiple holes.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hang-Leve...0117/202525725
    Your husband would have a tough time with me. I just moved into a retirement community that provides a handyman for two hours of picture hanging services. So far, I have 32 pictures on the walls and probably have that many to go. I had a ton of wall space in my old place and it has been more challenging here but I think I'm going to manage it.

And yes, before I put the old place on the market I had someone come in to paint and patch and he remarked that "You sure had a lot of pictures!". The movers complained, too.
    Pat

Yes, they are made by 3M but they are called Command strips found even in JAF. Unfortunately, they don't work well on textured walls.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

There is also the monkey hook and for larger heavier items the gorilla hook

http://www.monkeyhook.com/
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Blog Entries
    when things are not to heavy I always use old sewing machine needles they really work and no visible hole

Blog Entries
    I've had success with Command products - but you need to stick them on then WAIT for approx. 24 hours before you hang anything on them. I know that's hard to do but it really does work better.
    TwandasMom

Thank you for the replies.
    I will check out the Command hooks, the monkeyhook and the Hang-and-Level one

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
    For anything really heavy, like a large mirror, I recommend hercules hooks, they really work, and very small hole left in wall.
    Yes, I agree....had a few things hanging from command hooks for about a year, then they came crashing down! Now I'm very careful what I use them for!

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Yes, I agree....had a few things hanging from command hooks for about a year, then they came crashing down! Now I'm very careful what I use them for!
    Oh my...wouldn't want pics crashing down. I will keep the weight in mind when selecting the hangers. Thanks.

There is a new product out for heavier quilts, www.magnificentquilt.com. A tad expensive, but for smaller hangings I have used thin pieces metal plates (think I found it in the plumbing section), heavy duty magnets and command codes at a fraction of the cost. No holes, either.