Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question about Pendleton wool yardage >

Question about Pendleton wool yardage

Question about Pendleton wool yardage

Old 10-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Default Question about Pendleton wool yardage

I have some Pendleton wool yardage - but I'm not sure if it's flannel or something else? I probably bought it in the early1980 or late 1970s.

It's similar in weight and hand to the Pendleton shirts that I bought for DH forty years ago.

It has a bit of "fuzz/nap" as compared to a piece of gabardine which has a hard, smooth surface and "twilled" like denim - but it is not as "fuzzy/nappy" as the "chamois" flannel or flannel for baby blankets.

Can anyone give me some clues?

It seems too "fuzzy" to use for skirts or jackets.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:31 PM

are you certain it's not wool? Most of what Pendleton made at that time was woolens or wool blends. You could send them a picture and I bet they could identify. The wool Pendleton shirts DH has would have more fuzz than the Pendleton wool skirt that I "outgrew".
Old 10-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

I am sure it is wool and it's Pendleton - I still have the sew=in labels that the store provided when I purchased the fabric.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I have some of my Dad's old Pendleton shirts that I want to do something with for my sister and me but haven't figured out yet.
Maybe a really simple lap quilt? We're both sentimental about them.
I've never worked with wool.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:47 AM

I think I would call their store in Portland Oregon and ask them. The salesclerk could give you a number to call. I was there 4 years ago and bought some lovely cotton yardage they made shirts out of plus some FQs of wool. Great store.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:59 PM

It sounds to me like the wool that was used for men's shirts. I worked for Pendleton for 16 years, was there when they moved the manufacturing to Mexico. Their shirt fabric is very nice, as long as it is not washed in hot water or dried in the dryer. Like any wool, it will shrink. Wonderful feel to the fabric.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 PM

In the 50's I was gifted with a couple yards of Pendleton wool .......my boyfriends parents took a trip out west, putchased it from the factory and it was their Christmas gift...... It was smooth as silk...definitely not fuzzy in any way....the skirt my mother made for me from it had a rear kickpleat...the creases in it never lost their shape or needed pressing.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sxboyer View Post
It sounds to me like the wool that was used for men's shirts. I worked for Pendleton for 16 years, was there when they moved the manufacturing to Mexico. Their shirt fabric is very nice, as long as it is not washed in hot water or dried in the dryer. Like any wool, it will shrink. Wonderful feel to the fabric.
I washed yardage of it in my wringer washer in tepid (body temperature warm) water and rinsed it in the same temperature water. I then dried it on low heat until it was barely dry.

It did not shrink - at all. I compared it to the unwashed yardage and I can't tell the difference between the two.

I did hold my breath until it was dry, though!