Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question about Quilting Lines on Fleece Squares >

Question about Quilting Lines on Fleece Squares

Question about Quilting Lines on Fleece Squares

Old 05-12-2023, 01:11 PM

Default Question about Quilting Lines on Fleece Squares

Hi..I am making fleece squares (two pieces of fleece and one layer of thick(ish) batting and I am doing the turnaround method for a cat shelter. They told me how to sew it and I asked if I should sew a few quilting lines in the middle and they said no need to. I found that a little weird. My question is sewing two layers of fleece with one layer of batting and then turning inside out (the batting will be caught in the seam) would you think that would be enough without tacking down the center? I hope I am explaining well. The shelter showed me some that they had and there were no quilting lines. I guess I was thinking over time would the batting separate. Attached is a picture of what I am talking about. The picture is actually showing a smaller version, what I am being asked to do is 26 inches by 11 inches. I am sure they are right but seems a little odd.

Just wondering what my fellow sewers think. Thanks so much.
Attached Thumbnails sunflower.jpg  
Old 05-12-2023, 01:49 PM

Noticed recently on rag quilt that I made for my dog, I missed sewing the X through a couple of blocks. It has been washed several times and those blocks look no different than the ones that have the X sewn through them. This quilt was made with three layers of flannel and nothing shifted. So, I am thinking that the fleece and batting will stick together just fine without any stitches in the middle, especially since the shelter has experience with that method. In fact, I may skip that step if I make another smaller size rag quilt. The blocks without the X seem a little softer than the others.
Old 05-13-2023, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Hi Pumpkin, I don't have an answer for you but if you put this in the Main section I think you'd get more responses. Hope you get the help you need!
Old 05-13-2023, 05:24 AM

The shelter near us does not share the pads between animals. Some of them go home with the animal but others are discarded as the safest way to keep diseases/ pests from being transferred. Maybe that is why it won’t matter if the batting shifts, as they aren’t meant for long term use? Just a thought.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:54 AM

Thank you SusieQ, I just re-posted it under the main section. Thanks also to suern3 and thinkblebug6000