Question for seamstress

Old 02-20-2017, 04:57 PM

Default Question for seamstress

I need a dress for my granddaughter who we raised. I cannot find anything that looks right on me. I am not her mother so most of the dresses are too "young" for me. Some show too much cleavage. Can anyone suggest a pattern that I could take to a seamstress? Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Perhaps you can add some lace to the cleavage area. I have had to retro fit some of my grand daughters shirts this way. Her Mom gives her some of her old shirts that are too mature for a girl of 12.

I bought some close weaved lace at Joann's and Hobby Lobby.

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 02-20-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:27 PM

I think much depends on the the age of your granddaughter and the event for which she needs the dress. Perhaps with a bit more info we can provide some more detailed information.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

there are so many patterns available now.
Even fast and quick ones. take a look at them
and see what seems suitable, If needed, you can always add so
me lace as previously stated, good luck.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:07 AM

I'm really confused. You write that you need a dress for your granddaughter, then you start talking about how the dresses look on you. Whomismthemdress for?
Old 02-21-2017, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by shortcake2012 View Post
I need a dress for my granddaughter who we raised. I cannot find anything that looks right on me. I am not her mother so most of the dresses are too "young" for me. Some show too much cleavage. Can anyone suggest a pattern that I could take to a seamstress? Thanks in advance

Is is this for you or gd?
Old 02-21-2017, 06:48 AM

A good seamstress will be able to modify any pattern to what you want. I personally prefer using Simplicity patterns, but I have used most brands. Being high breasted, every dress with a scoop neck shows too much cleavage. I learned from my Mom to cut the neck barely rounded, try the bodice on, then mark where I want the neck cut to. It's easiest if you have someone (your seamstress) to pin the bodice on you and do the marking. This should be part of the basic fitting, marking arm holes and necklines to fit the wearer. If she can't do it she should not call herself a seamstress. JMHO
Old 02-21-2017, 06:58 AM

Yesterday I bought Simplicity 8307 for a 12-year-old neighbor that I am mentoring into sewing. It is stylish and the front neckline is high, but the back neckline is really interesting.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:00 AM

I'm thinking she might have left out a word... wedding? As in, she raised her granddaughter so needs a dress for the wedding, but she's not the mother of the bride so the dresses are too young.

Any good seamstress will be able to help you. You may not even need to provide her with a pattern... she should be able to show you some ideas that are modest and age-appropriate. Good luck with your search!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
I'm really confused. You write that you need a dress for your granddaughter, then you start talking about how the dresses look on you. Whomismthemdress for?
I'm sorry, my brain was going faster than my fingers. It's for me to wear to our granddaughter's wedding.