Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilt shops and adventures between Arkansas and Indiana??? >

Quilt shops and adventures between Arkansas and Indiana???

Quilt shops and adventures between Arkansas and Indiana???

Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 PM

We're driving up to Great Lakes, Indiana in the fall to attend our grandson's graduation from Navy Boot Camp. I've never been in that part of the country so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for places to visit or things to do during the drive (i.e., quilt shops, specialty shops, historical sites, scenic areas, great food)?

On the way up we'll go north through Missouri to Chicago. On the way back, we plan to drive south through Indiana, Missouri and Kentucky (already plan to stop at Hancocks of Paducah...LOL).

Thanks to anyone who can help us out!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:54 PM

Will you be going up through Branson and Springfield? There are some great quilt shops lots to see and do...! I love Quilts & Quilts in Branson! post if you'll be going that way and I'll let you know of more! Hope you have wonderful trip!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Podunk Princess
We're driving up to Great Lakes, Indiana in the fall to attend our grandson's graduation from Navy Boot Camp. I've never been in that part of the country so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for places to visit or things to do during the drive (i.e., quilt shops, specialty shops, historical sites, scenic areas, great food)?

On the way up we'll go north through Missouri to Chicago. On the way back, we plan to drive south through Indiana, Missouri and Kentucky (already plan to stop at Hancocks of Paducah...LOL).

Thanks to anyone who can help us out!!!
Rita, how far south do you go in
Arkansas?
Stephanie
Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

springfield Mo:

FM Store - on sunshine & freemont
Merrily we Quilt along- Sunshine & 65
Fabric Outlet- North On glenstone past sunshine in left

Aurora MO:
Quilted Garden-

Carthage MO:
Block By Block

Joplin MO:
Bittersweet Quilts

and if you go thru rolla check out this link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-80562-1.htm
Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 PM

You will probably want to plan to spend some time in Shipshewana, Indiana. Great Amish community with LOTS of quilt stores. But my favorite place to buy fabrics is Yoders, which is kind of like an Amish Walmart. One half of the store is 'dry goods' - fabric, clothing, fabric, shoes, fabric, patterns - a quarter hardware store and a quarter grocery store.

DH LOVES the hardware part. If you are looking for ANYTHING unusually or that you just can't find anymore, Yoders has it. He purchased his hand-crank meat grinder there and LOVES it. We have found other things like iron skillets (at a great price) and oil lamp hardware.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
You will probably want to plan to spend some time in Shipshewana, Indiana. Great Amish community with LOTS of quilt stores. But my favorite place to buy fabrics is Yoders, which is kind of like an Amish Walmart. One half of the store is 'dry goods' - fabric, clothing, fabric, shoes, fabric, patterns - a quarter hardware store and a quarter grocery store.

DH LOVES the hardware part. If you are looking for ANYTHING unusually or that you just can't find anymore, Yoders has it. He purchased his hand-crank meat grinder there and LOVES it. We have found other things like iron skillets (at a great price) and oil lamp hardware.
I was at a quilt shop there and a lady was having a hard time buying a quilt. Her mother had left her some money and she had decided to buy an Amish quilt. The one she was looking at was $1000. It was breath-taking. She had been back 3 times to look at it. Something within me knew she should have it. We talked a bit and I told her if she bought it everytime she wrapped it around herself or slept under it, it would be like her mother's arms wrapped around her. She bought it.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 AM

GOTTA go to Batesville Arkansas where there is Marshalls!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:46 AM

Nashville, Indiana is a little off the beaten path, and not quilt-specific, but there's some excellent down-home food and lots of interesting and unique stores. It's a community of artists of all kinds--painters, sculptors, glassworkers, you name it (there may even be a quilter or two, I'm not sure). It gets crowded during peak tree-color season, but if you can stomach the crowds it's just beautiful. Brown County State Park is there, and there are incredible vistas and beautifully-kept (and not strenuous!) hiking trails.

Make sure, once you get up north, to visit Indiana Dunes State Park. That time of year you won't be swimming, but the dunes are fun to hike.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chigger Holler Quilter
Will you be going up through Branson and Springfield? There are some great quilt shops lots to see and do...! I love Quilts & Quilts in Branson! post if you'll be going that way and I'll let you know of more! Hope you have wonderful trip!
We will be starting north through the Salem/Mammoth Springs area. Have already been to the shops in Thayer and West Plains, Missouri.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers

Thanks! We'll definitely put this on our list of things to do.