Quilting with kittens

Old 07-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Default Quilting with kittens

In March while on a job, my husband found 3 abandoned kittens (3 weeks old at the time) and brought them home. We already live in a tiny place, I do the books for our business so one tiny room is my office and the closet has my hanging clothes and some sewing stuff in there. The second bedroom is for guests and I have my clothes in the dresser and the closet is where I store a majority of my sewing stuff and I put the kittens back there late morning till late afternoon for their "nap", and they will let me know when they are ready to come out.

I can no longer leave my sewing stuff out when hubby is away for work and it is really not helping my quilting mojo...is there a secret to quilting with kittens sans the dedicated room with a door?

Finding new homes for them is out of the question as hubby is now attached to them......of course he is, he is always gone and they do not interfere with his hobbies.....

Lisa
Old 07-16-2013, 05:03 PM

Maybe play with them before you put them in up so that they will be tired for their nap.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

I kept my cat on a leash all the 20 years I had him. He didn't care and was a great cat.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

How about looking for a mesh playpen to put them in? Take an old sheet and make a top (with elastic casing around the edge) to go over the top in case they climb the sides.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Kittens will get into EVERYTHING! They are curious and everything can turn into a toy. They may try to eat thread or trimmings, pick pins out of your pincushions, bat around anything that is loose, stick paws into any parts of the moving machine and insist on being on you lap/work. Guess how I know that? They are great company and fun but THREE of them will be a real challenge for sewing until the grow up a bit and calm down...unless you get a cat that stays playful as an adult. I vote for moving your machine somewhere behind a door.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 PM

I make sure I have a bed near me for them to sleep on while I sew. This keeps them off the ironing board. I think the sprayer on the Iron is to squirt the cats off the ironing board.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 AM

Make sure you have several cat posts for clawing. If you catch one clawing the furniture take him to the post and claw it with your finger nails. you need to show them how.
I have 4 cats and none claw the furniture.
They do love quilts so keep one on the couch for them to lay on.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Cyn

I put out special toys like an old sheet over a chair, a plastic cube with holes, boxes with cut outs and/ or a brown paper bag and my 5 cats would entertain themselves. I would just bring one or two out at a time and their curiosity would get the better of them. I'd sew while they play. Good Luck! It's doable
Old 07-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Tartans idea on the play pen might work, I used one for a couple of puppies, gave me a little piece while they were
so young.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Hey RedGarnet222, two of my three cats go outside on a leash!!! I have my sewing room with a louvered bi-fold door on it. I had to put a hook closure to keep them out of that room though. I also have a guest room down here where I store lots of my fabric. used to store my quilts there but now only have the tops in waiting there. no cat hair!!! yep, play with them like crazy. cats like to sleep a lot so get them tired is my only real suggestion. A play pen, you'd have to put a top on it. a heavy one!!