Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilting Weight Fabric for Curtains?  Advice please. >

Quilting Weight Fabric for Curtains? Advice please.

Quilting Weight Fabric for Curtains? Advice please.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:32 AM

Default Quilting Weight Fabric for Curtains? Advice please.

I am desperate for advice as I need to get cracking on making curtains (sigh)- Autumn is approaching.

Two questions

1) Has anyone used good quality quilting fabric for sitting room curtains?
2) Are the extra-wide quilting fabrics of the same quality?

I experience making curtains and plan on using preshrunk cotton bump (interlining), a heavy weight lining and pencil pleat header tape.

This is the method that I have successfully used before with curtain weight fabric. http://www.drapesmadeeasy.com/making-drapes.html

My concern is about the drape, but I cannot find any suitable premade curtains and the only curtain weight fabric I like is way out of my budget. (The room is triple aspect with two walls each with a big window and the other with the conservatory door with abutting windows so a lot of fabric is required).

There many quilting fabrics that will go with the colour scheme including some extra wide backing.

Many thanks for your input.

HettyB

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-26-2017 at 02:59 AM. Reason: remove moderation remarks
Old 08-26-2017, 01:38 AM

I make valances fir my kitchen using quilting cottons. I always line them. I have also used quilting cottons for my bedroom..matching the quilt, shams, and dust ruffle that I made. Yes..I lined the curtains too. I buy quilt shop name brand fabrics. I have been happy with the outcome.

Wide Backing fabric is a different greige good. (base fabric) it us not as tightly woven as the 45. This keeps the price lower for 108" vs. using/manufacturing wide goods using the same greige goods as the 45".
sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 08-26-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:42 AM

I have made drapes that go wall to wall out of quilting weight fabric. by the time you line them and pinch pleat fullness they are beautiful. They go to the dry cleaners well and return beautiful. When they are 15 feet wide, you don't want fabric that is too heavy. Mine have been up 30 years and they are still gorgeous. Of course, custom made drapes are always gorgeous in my opinion. I remember when they were required to be sold with the house if you put the house on the market......those days are long gone with "curtains"
Old 08-26-2017, 03:28 AM

Thanks both to you and Sandygirl. I am going proceed with quilting fabric.

Here in the UK, curtains, carpets included fitted wall to wall, poles, light fittings etc historically do not come with the house. You buy them by separate negotiation. This "new to me house" was built in 1930 in the Arts and Crafts style, previous owner last redecorated in 1985 and the curtains were left behind. Very dated and rotting curtains of brown, beige and peach and certainly would not go with the newly painted Wm Morris-y green!

Many thanks again

Hettyb
Old 08-26-2017, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Hettyb, I've used both quilting cotton and the heavier type fabric (can't think of the name) and lined them. They all came out nicely.
Having said this I don't like making curtains or drapes. I only want to make quilts !
Old 08-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Wide quilting fabrics differ in quality. Some are just as good as the 44", others are not.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:08 AM

There is a web site called Fabric Grue, that sells drapery fabric at good discounts. I have bought from them and the fabric is nice.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:30 AM

I have quilting cotton curtains that I made for 2 of my bedrooms. I did line them to protect from fading. They have hung for several years and still look very nice.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:37 AM

Last time I needed curtains it was actually cheaper to buy them ready made, than to make them myself, I got them from Amazon UK, I need two pairs 108" wide 90 drop, 1 pair 108" wide 54 drop,
Old 08-27-2017, 10:02 AM

My mother would purchase inexpensive white/beige curtains and sew the fabric of choice on top and sides. It gave weight to cotton for light control but provided a design. I thought she was a miracle worker when she made me "horse" curtains during my preteen years.