Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ran the Vac today and brought back a memory. >

Ran the Vac today and brought back a memory.

Ran the Vac today and brought back a memory.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:12 AM

My mother had a boyfriend named Ray for over 20 years. They were together every day until they both went into nursing homes. The only reason they never got married was because if they did, his bills and her bills would have become THEIR bills...and someone would lose their social security check! But Ray was more of a Dad to me than my own father ever dreamed of being, and my kids grew up calling him Papaw.

Yesterday my 21 year old daughter Melissa, who is autistic, had to have anesthesia to have dental work done, including removing a wisdom tooth. While sitting with her in pre-op, I remembered when I had my own wisdom teeth taken out. Ray took me so I'd have someone to drive me home after anesthesia. Afterwards he took me to the pharmacy and bought my meds for me. It was a beautiful memory to have at such a stressful time!

Donna
Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 AM

This is not a childhood memory but the canister vac. was a hand-me-down from my childhood. One year ,on the last day of a week long "Spring" cleaning marathon I was happily and proudly vacuuming the last room, the open living-kitchen-dining-family room, I happened to look up and OMG SMOKE ! no FOG!! no!! THE VAC BAG HAD EXPLODED!!!!!
The memory still brings tears to my eyes!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak View Post
My mother had a boyfriend named Ray for over 20 years. They were together every day until they both went into nursing homes. The only reason they never got married was because if they did, his bills and her bills would have become THEIR bills...and someone would lose their social security check! But Ray was more of a Dad to me than my own father ever dreamed of being, and my kids grew up calling him pawpaw.
Donna
This is exactly why DH and I can not be married. My DD's call him "dad guy" and have both offered to take him in if anything happens to me. <3
Old 07-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I remember my oldest Daughter's long blonde hair getting wrapped around the beater bar when she was still at home. I had to cut it to get it off. I have cats now that shed and picks up easy with a little shop vac.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

well girls. there are birds outside, just waiting for that hair. Even in our cities. Love all the stories. and Yes this morn when i got ready to brush my hair. out side i went
Old 07-31-2014, 10:22 AM

At our Bible Study on Tuesday the song "How Great Thou Art" was played to get us started. That was my grandmothers' favorite that she would play on her old upright piano which had a hollow, tinkly sound if you happened to be in the back of her house when she started playing. That particular recording had that same hollow, tinkly sound and I was instantly transported back to my younger years, standing in her living room with my mom and sister singing that along with her. Precious memories... how they linger.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MonaMcC View Post
At our Bible Study on Tuesday the song "How Great Thou Art" was played to get us started. That was my grandmothers' favorite that she would play on her old upright piano which had a hollow, tinkly sound if you happened to be in the back of her house when she started playing. That particular recording had that same hollow, tinkly sound and I was instantly transported back to my younger years, standing in her living room with my mom and sister singing that along with her. Precious memories... how they linger.
great memory. My Grandfather was a song writer and a music teacher. and yet this was his favorite also. Each time we sing it at church or i hear it anywhere it also takes me back in time, and that is what great memories are all about. loved your story
Old 07-31-2014, 06:32 PM

When we painted our little garden shed, we found a blue jay nest that had hair from our neighbors horses coiled round and round to make a soft spot for the eggs. I kept it for a long time, but finally decided it was time for it to go. Your story does bring back memories of our collie being brushed and brushed in the yard and all that hair just floating away. Wish it would do that with our new little American Eskimo. She is shedding a lot this time of year. Almost makes me worry
Old 07-31-2014, 06:44 PM

Love your stories...nice to know life always creates memories to share.