Ready for the storm???

Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by denise d
In the Indianapolis area. Already have a growing layer of ice on everything. Hubby went out about 20 minutes ago to walk dogs, his feet prints have already filled up/ iced over.

This could be fun.
It's morning here in Bloomington and we still have power. I am grateful for that. Went to the store yesterday before the crowds got there. The last time we had to weather an ice storm we were living north in Elkhart. It was so devastating to the trees, it looked like a scene from a scifi movie. We gave up after a couple of days without power(being on a well meant we didn't water either)so we came south to be with family.
One daughter still lives up by South Bend but I don't think she could get here this time. It's supposed to be worse between here and there.
Stay warm and safe everyone!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

They're predicting 12-18" for us.

My kids are PLANNING on a snow day.

Andy - who is 16 and knows EVERYTHING, says that he predicts a 60% chance of a snow day, and he further states that whever he gives greater-than-50% odds, he is NEVER wrong.

Oh, to be young and so very confident again... :)
Old 02-01-2011, 05:26 AM

I live on the border of Pt. Huron and Sarnia and we got a skif of snow last night but we are to get hit tonight and into Wed. Good sewing day for Wed. Stay warm
Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
Years ago you could still use your gas range when the power went down...not so today...all appliances have electronic igniters!
I use mine - just light the burner with a lighter or match.

I keep a Melita drip coffee pot and a tea kettle for heating the water. And in the winter there are usually at least a couple varieties of soups, stes, chili, etc and they have been very welcome when there is no power!

They aren't saying much about icing here, mostly rain changing over to snow. But I am good now - gas range and woodstove! Gas water heater too ;-)
Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 AM

If you are talking about lighting a burner to cook something you can light it with a match or lighter. Turn the control to light and put a match or lighter next to it. I can always put a pot of soup or something on when we don't have electricity. You can not use your oven though, that cycles off and on so it won't work.

Originally Posted by kathidahl
Years ago you could still use your gas range when the power went down...not so today...all appliances have electronic igniters!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Might work with the range I have now...my old one would shut off the gas when the electricity was not working..a safety feature allegedly..maybe the industry learned that was not a good thing? Hope I do not have to do that today!!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 AM

Getting in the supplies here in Southern Ontario. It's pretty crummy here today, too. I'm supposed to go into work for 7:30 tomorrow morning. Gonna take it one snowy inch at a time. They are warning that the buses might be canceled. Snow day for sure. I'd much rather be watching from my cozy house than from the car, driving to work. :(
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Originally Posted by prezzy
We are suppose to get snow starting tomorrow. They said 6-12 inches and very cold. The snow doesn't stop this year. My friend had a Robin on her lawn the other day.
I am two hours south of you, and predicted anywhere from 2-3 inches for tonight and 4-6 for Tues and Wed depending on really where in the belt you are.
Surprise for me this morning at 5:30 - was wishful for a twohour delay, and what we got was CLOSED. Only received 3 inches, but apparently the roads are very slick. With the newest prediction of 12 inches today, Districts are erring (?) on the side of caution. May have another day off tomorrow... gee, what to do.... :roll:
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 AM

well we got a small amt of snow,it is only about 20 degrees and lots of ice. We were on the very edge of the storm here in Antlers,Ok Still cloudy and dreary out but no precip.Prayers that all stay safe in the bad areas.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by dewie45
Originally Posted by denise d
In the Indianapolis area. Already have a growing layer of ice on everything. Hubby went out about 20 minutes ago to walk dogs, his feet prints have already filled up/ iced over.

This could be fun.
It's morning here in Bloomington and we still have power. I am grateful for that. Went to the store yesterday before the crowds got there. The last time we had to weather an ice storm we were living north in Elkhart. It was so devastating to the trees, it looked like a scene from a scifi movie. We gave up after a couple of days without power(being on a well meant we didn't water either)so we came south to be with family.
One daughter still lives up by South Bend but I don't think she could get here this time. It's supposed to be worse between here and there.
Stay warm and safe everyone!
I REMEMBER U HAVING THIS STORM...MY SON WAS WORKING WITH A COMPANY (IN YOUR AREA) AT THIS TIME AND HE SENT US PICTURE. IT DID LOOK LIKE SCIFI MOVIE :(