Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Real Lemons VS Bottled Lemon Juice

Banned
    I have heard that lemon juice in your drinking water is very beneficial and healthy for you. Is there a big difference in fresh lemons and the bottle concentrate lemon juice as far as the benefits go? Also what are some of the benefits? I've heard its a good liver detox, helps with weight loss, heart, skin.....what else? Are there any negative sides to lemon juice? I know I'm just full of questions all the time but I like to learn and learning from real people and their experiences is the best way I think ......and you guys are always great. ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I prefer the real lemons....Please make sure that you wash them before using...you don't want all that might be on the outside of the lemon in your drinking water....
    In regards to real vs bottled....read the ingredients on the bottle...if all it lists is lemon...OK...if the list is long...you do the math.... :roll: :( :-D

I also prefer real lemons, we have our own lemon tree, so makes it easy. Also what is really good is orange slice in your water. And a great combination is to put some cucumber slices in your water with the citrus. If you are not a water drinker, this makes a really nice drink. I can drink a gallon. I have used real lemon when nothing else was available. But fresh is always better.

I don't think their is any negative of putting any citrus in water.

Blog Entries
    Lemons are hard to keep in this area. They start to mold very fast. I use the bottled 100% lemon juice and really can't tell any difference when added to drinks. We like the 100% lime juice too.

I have a lemon tree also, currently with a million lemons on it...
    Fresh, I would think, is so much better!!!
    I have a lime tree as well, it is over the second story of the house and I bet we throw away hundreds of pounds of limes each year. I try to give them away but have so many falling all the time DH just picks them up with the dog treasures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I have a lime tree as well, it is over the second story of the house and I bet we throw away hundreds of pounds of limes each year. I try to give them away but have so many falling all the time DH just picks them up with the dog treasures.
    I don't know if it is allowed in Calif.,but I know here alot of people with citrus trees take the abundance from their trees and donate them to the community food bank.

Banned
    724 hits??!! Is there that many people on here?? :-o

Quote Originally Posted by azdesertrat
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I don't know if it is allowed in Calif.,but I know here alot of people with citrus trees take the abundance from their trees and donate them to the community food bank.
    Yes it is allowed, at least for our Church's food bank. I get some over there now and then but what I need to do is get some kid over here picking them up each week and taking them to the food pantry that my church runs. I just don't have the time (or energy) to pick up all those limes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Lemons are hard to keep in this area. They start to mold very fast. I use the bottled 100% lemon juice and really can't tell any difference when added to drinks. We like the 100% lime juice too.
    They are hard to keep here, too. So I squeeze them and put the juice in small containers in the freezer. It's just like fresh. You can also cut the lemon and freeze them in slices or wedges.
    YTQ

Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    724 hits??!! Is there that many people on here?? :-o
    There are over 12,000 people listed on this site. :!:

Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    I have heard that lemon juice in your drinking water is very beneficial and healthy for you. Is there a big difference in fresh lemons and the bottle concentrate lemon juice as far as the benefits go? Also what are some of the benefits? I've heard its a good liver detox, helps with weight loss, heart, skin.....what else? Are there any negative sides to lemon juice? I know I'm just full of questions all the time but I like to learn and learning from real people and their experiences is the best way I think ......and you guys are always great. ;)
    One of the benefits of lemons is that it helps to balance Ph. All it takes is about a tablespoon per day. I like it with Stevia, rather that the artificial sweeteners or sugar. It's very refreshing, and if you want to use seltzer water, it's REALLY GOOD!!!
    I'm green :mrgreen: about those of you in California who have your own lemons!!
    YTQ

One of the benefits of lemons is that it helps to balance Ph. All it takes is about a tablespoon per day. I like it with Stevia, rather that the artificial sweeteners or sugar. It's very refreshing, and if you want to use seltzer water, it's REALLY GOOD!!!
    I'm green about those of you in California who have your own lemons!!
    YTQ

You are green up there!!! All that rain, whereas we are golden brown here most of the time!!!!

Ok. I need to try that.

I don't know how effective the bottled stuff would be.

Lemon juice is acidic, and most bacteria can't survive in an acidic environment. So when you drink it (say, a full tablespoon in enough water to make one cup) 2 - 3 cups a day, it can clean up many kinds of infections:
    -- skin disorders such as acne, dandruff, exzema (sp?)
    -- gum disease (mild to moderate) and tooth decay (but it works inside the tooth. You don't want to swish it around your mouth, because the acid will harm your tooth enamel.)
    -- internal infections such as the kind that give you the runs

It can reduce inflammation, which may help with joint pain.

It basically works much like apple cider vinegar, although they have different vitamins and minerals. And it's far more pleasant to drink, though I don't think it's quite as effective.

The one thing I've been told is that people with congestive heart failure should not take apple cider vinegar. I would guess it applies to lemon juice, too.

I don't add sugar or artificial sweetener to lemon juice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
    One of the benefits of lemons is that it helps to balance Ph.
    How does Tequila factor in? lol

I have a bottle of the lemon juice in the fridge and use it in some sauces or when cooking cauliflower. (I usually don't have real ones when I need them)

The real lemons get tossed in the garbage disposal after they are juiced - makes the garbage shoot smell nice.

Why do you have trouble with lemons spoiling? Do you not refrigerate them?

Blog Entries
    I have a bottle of the lemon juice in the fridge and use it in some sauces or when cooking cauliflower. (I usually don't have real ones when I need them)

The real lemons get tossed in the garbage disposal after they are juiced - makes the garbage shoot smell nice.[/quote]

Why lemon for cooking cauliflower? I also use oranges in the garbage disposal.
    I thought lemon was bad for the enamel on your teeth?

I don't know about cooking cauliflower, but the acid in lemons is hard on the enamel of your teeth. When diluted in water or something else it's fine. I don't suggest sucking on a wedge of lemon or swishing straight lemon juice in your mouth for any length of time.

Blog Entries
    Lemon in the water when steaming or cooking cauliflower helps cut down the cabbage smell and it gives the cauliflower a bit of a fresher taste. I really like it that way. I also put a bit of lemon in the bechemel-cheese sauce. Yummo!

Blog Entries
    I had left over cauliflower for dinner, next time I'm going to try the lemon jucie. I usually roast or steam my cauliflower, it will work that way, right?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy

The real lemons get tossed in the garbage disposal after they are juiced - makes the garbage shoot smell nice.
    Why lemon for cooking cauliflower? I also use oranges in the garbage disposal.
    I thought lemon was bad for the enamel on your teeth?[/quote]

I had a SIL (in her 20's) that always had a lemon wedge in her mouth. She went to the dentist one day. She came home and said she had no enamel left on her teeth because of the lemons.

I would love to have a real fruit tree in my yard. Papaya doesn't count........

Love papaya.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I would love to have a real fruit tree in my yard. Papaya doesn't count........

Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    I don't know how effective the bottled stuff would be.

Lemon juice is acidic, and most bacteria can't survive in an acidic environment. So when you drink it (say, a full tablespoon in enough water to make one cup) 2 - 3 cups a day, it can clean up many kinds of infections:
    -- skin disorders such as acne, dandruff, exzema (sp?)
    -- gum disease (mild to moderate) and tooth decay (but it works inside the tooth. You don't want to swish it around your mouth, because the acid will harm your tooth enamel.)
    -- internal infections such as the kind that give you the runs

It can reduce inflammation, which may help with joint pain.

It basically works much like apple cider vinegar, although they have different vitamins and minerals. And it's far more pleasant to drink, though I don't think it's quite as effective.

The one thing I've been told is that people with congestive heart failure should not take apple cider vinegar. I would guess it applies to lemon juice, too.

I don't add sugar or artificial sweetener to lemon juice.
    I was interested in the comment that maybe lemon juice shouldn't be used by people with congestive heart failure, so I Googled it and according to all the different articles, lemons and limes are really good for anyone, even those with congestive heart failure. There were a lot of cautionary items about not to suck on lemons or limes, because it will remove the enamel on your teeth, and that using as little as 1 teaspoon was beneficial. :-)

Banned
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    Bottled lemon juice even though is says it's 100% contains a chemical under a few different names sulfite, bi-sulfite meta- bi-sulfite and others all with the name sulfite in it. If a person has asthma and ingests sulfites it is life threating. USE FRESH that goes for everything you put in your body. WHY............ Would you want to eat chemicals????????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast