Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Really scary - get off this list >

Really scary - get off this list

Really scary - get off this list

Old 02-04-2011, 09:39 AM

The best way to avoid this sort of thing is to avoid posting personal info on the web, including your real name. That's why you won't find me on Facebook.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 PM

we cked it out too. it wasn't the inaccuracies that got to me...but the address etc were accurate. also there is a site going around that tells you if you have criminals as neighbors...hubby cked it out at his work pc and said that we are basically drownding in fellons...murderers rapists yada yada yada...told him if that were true then we have more neighbors than we can see!!! he agreed...some of the locations they listed were on a hill across from us that is a cherry orchard. so now we figure we know where the bodies are buried. :)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
The best way to avoid this sort of thing is to avoid posting personal info on the web, including your real name. That's why you won't find me on Facebook.
or i...and it used to be safe to do as you say....but now i am coming across blogs and other sites [i love reading quilting blogs] that have a thing at the bottom that says something to the effect that they know where you are and post your isp #. and some only do it if you wish to post on the site. still very invasive...so they don't need to know our name anymore.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by sewwhat85
how did you all see that info did you pay to join
I didn't pay the info was just there.
we didn't pay google or bing to post pics of our homes either...they just did it. public records of our tax info, mortgage info, everything is available to everyone. state of oregon a couple of years ago passed law that said that realestate companies could no longer access property roles to get numbers and other info to contact owners and pressure to sell or whatever.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I have been too chicken to join Facebook. I'm afraid I'll say something I shouldn't, and don't want to read what the six older grandchildren are sharing. Glad I'm not the only one who isn't part of this whirlwind era. In the old days you could tear up the note before you sent it. No more!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 PM

Thank you so much for this post. We all have altogether too much personal information floating around "out there" for any malfeasants to use as they please.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 PM

What I didn't like was that they had my unlisted cell phone number on it and I know that is not listed in Facebook. Apparently, they also get info from job search sites too. I sure wish I made 149K. I wouldn't be living in a tin box and would have LOTS more room for hobbies.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM

Wow! I'm shocked...I just found out...I'm a male!!!! LOL Someone should have told me that before I had two kids. Now, how did that happen????
Old 02-04-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I'm laughing at this because they only had 2 things correct about me. Who my DH is and where we live. It said I don't have children and that my MIL lives with us (hmmm has h--l frozen over)? I wish we had the income stated because then I'd have more money for fabric. LOL!! I'm gonna look up my whole family.
I love it!!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

We are not listed.