Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Recording Device -

Power Poster

Recording Device -

Tape recorders seem to be a thing of the past - - -

What do people use now?

Their phones probably.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    not a thing i know how to do

Phone if necessary. But barely a need for me to record anything.
    Alyce

The only thing I've recorded in the last twenty years was my DH snoring one night when I couldn't sleep. Used my cheap cell phone and it worked just fine.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't care for recording devices. We have enough with text and emails and hate if I'm calling someone and they put me on speaker. As soon as I realize i'm on speakerI hang up. Enough when you call a government hotline and are informed your conversation may be recorded.

My DH wanted a small one for something and our son found a nice little one he had. Never used it since and I have not used a recording device for years, no reason for it.

I have a free app on my Kindle Fire, works well.

DH bought a very nice microphone for recording various wildlife sounds. It has a built-in slot for a memory card. I believe you can still buy very small (like pen-sized) recorders too, designed to be used for recording lectures & such.

I have an older hand held recorder which I use when we are traveling. I take tons of pictures and as we may spend a month on the road, I type up a journal of our travels as we go along. It is amazing how easy it is for me to forget the name of a building that I took a picture of in the morning... and in the evening, poof, it's gone from my head. I love my recorder for that.

Blog Entries
    When my kids and grans were much younger, we recorded their voices on tape without their knowledge using old portable recorder. Such a treasure to have !

Blog Entries
    A very long time ago my DHs cousin had her elderly mother record the family history in all her great family stories. It kept her occupied while she was in hospice and helped her connect. She made copies for her children. They are wonderful to have. Today they can do things like that right at the computer or smart phone.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

A year or two ago my SIL's father in his mid-90's decided to add to some of a WW2 memoir that he'd started earlier. Since he was no longer able to type, he used a cassette recorder, and I still had a player that worked, already set up behind my desk here, so I got to type out what he said. It was a wonderfully exciting story because he was a navigator on a B-17, and they most certainly had some adventures and close calls. Oddly, the cassette player was just part of a little shelf system my kids had gotten for me some years ago that has an MP3 player, which I used until it failed, and I still use the radio in it, but I don't think I'd ever used the cassette before (or since). It served its one purpose. The dear old man has since passed away, so there will be no more stories from him.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I like to listen to books while I sew, so I got an MP3 with ear phones and
    download mystery books from the local library.
    Dona

I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
    you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
    identify their corporate sponsors.

People I know use their cell phones. I haven't had any use for a recorder in years. I still have a small cassette recorder that probably still works. I used to be Recording Secretary for a group and used it at meetings. I was always going to record my mom talking about our family history. I never got around to it and still kick myself for it. Kudos to those or you who have done this.
    Patrice S