Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rice Bags to relieve neck/shoulder pain >

Rice Bags to relieve neck/shoulder pain

Rice Bags to relieve neck/shoulder pain

Old 07-03-2010, 07:41 AM

I have a rice blanket that I bought a couple of years ago. Well, it's still in the box, but I have it! (oops)
Never occured to me to make one for the neck and shoulder area-dh has some pain in his shoulder, might have to make one for him!

Thanks for posting this thread!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:53 AM

I have a corn bag. Took denim jeans,the leg and cut it how large I wanted it. Did what you did, sew one end and fill the other with corn. Sewed it shut. It can be frozen, or microwaved. It works great. Your idea sounds good also. I think I may give that a try. Thanks for sharing
Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 AM

I make these and fill them with buckwheat groats. and I will now do them in sections, to keep the groats going all down one end or the other with nothing in between!! thanks for that tip!
Jeannie in GA
Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
I make these and fill them with buckwheat groats. and I will now do them in sections, to keep the groats going all down one end or the other with nothing in between!! thanks for that tip!
Jeannie in GA
Where to you find buckwheat?
Old 07-03-2010, 08:20 AM

I have made these out of fleece. They are very soft and the fleece helps to hold the heat longer I think.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:22 AM

I was given one as a gift years ago & it was made with cracked corn. The fabric was ticking fabric, the mattress looking stuff. Then I made a little pillowcase out of pretty cotton and one out of flannel for it. I love that thing. I made some sm ones for pockets, for my kids to keep their hands warm when they would go to the outdoor ice-rink. I then made sev. for gifts that Christmas. Got the cracked corn @ a hunting supply store. After 9-10 yrs. my first one is still in perfect shape.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:44 AM

I do the same as UpNorth. I save my husband's tube socks with stretched out tops. Just dump the rice in and tie a knot. When it gets dirty just empty into a clean tube sock. Seems to be just the right size to wrap around neck or put on my forehead for headaches.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

OMG I have a few of these. I love them. Keeps your toes warm in the winter too!

Here are some I embroidered for my grandkids.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82976.jpe   attachment-83127.jpe  
Old 07-03-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Originally Posted by quilting.addict
Jeannie in GA
Where to you find buckwheat?
www.BuckwheatHull.com Make sure and buy the seeds, because they are microwaveable, not the hulls. They have a flat rat shipping and I bought the 10 lb size and I made a LOT of bags. I do recommend that you use two layers of fabric. I put muslin on the inside of my fabric and treat it as a single piece. I usually cut out the piece(s) about 14" x 9", fold it in half long ways, stitch side and bottom, turn and fill. Of course, now that I have read the tip about sectioning, I'll do 3 or 4 sections semi-filling each as I come to it. Then double stitch the end. by the way, when I give these as gifts, I make little pillow cases, so they can be removed and washed!!! You CAN NOT wash the bag of "groats".
Jeannie in GA
Old 07-03-2010, 12:52 PM

ROFLMBO - Seriously, If I used any of those ingredients here in the country where there are cows, birds, dogs, cats, coyotes, hogs, etc. I would be attacked. LOL. I do have one but I like the idea of making it in sections to keep the stuff equal. Good ideas. I also added some lavender in mine. It is so relaxing. I love the boo boo bags. How cute.