Rice at warmers

Old 10-09-2016, 09:12 AM

Default Rice at warmers

Is it OK to make these from fleece...I see it done both with fleece and with cotton. Has anyone had problems with fleece and the microwave.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:23 AM

I use the stripped cotton that you used to see on bed pillows or a heavy cotton for the rice bag. I then make a flannel cover for the bag so I can wash the cover. I take the cover off, put the rice bag on a paper plate and heat. If I hand it to DH to heat he throws it in with the flannel cover on. I have several bags of different sizes (eye mask, neck, foot and lower back bag) and have been using them for a couple of years now. They have held up great and as a person who has perpetually cold feet I love them!
Old 10-09-2016, 01:48 PM

I can't say if fleece would work, but I just wanted to say that I couldn't live without these microwavable warmers in the winter. I put them in bed at night and they keep my feet from freezing. I use upholstery fabric and fill mine with cracked corn. You can find corn sold in 2 lb? bags in the pet food aisle. I've used rice too, but I like the smell of corn.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:05 AM

I made a bunch with fleece for Christmas presents years back, and never had a problem. They do tend to get moist. But moist heat is good, right?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:41 AM

Do NOT use fleece, this material can cause a fire. Fleece is made from PLASTIC bottles. A fireman told me this, get them too hot (as some people do), they will catch fire in your M/W. Best material is 100% cotton flannel, it's all I ever use.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Real fleece is from 100% wool coat from sheep. The fleece we find most of today is a polyester. It will melt in the microwave.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:05 AM
mac

I also use 100% cotton for my microwavable heaters. Then I make 2 coverlets for it. One to put in the wash when dirty and one to use while the other one is in the wash. I never put the coverlets in the microwave - ever. Of course, these are all one-piece heaters.

The first one I ever had was made by someone else, and even though it was all cotton, when the cover got dirty, I had a heck of a time draining the rice from the sections and then re-sewing them. So I made one for myself and did it in sections, but made individual rice bags for each section. It works like a charm, but you still had to sew it back up.

So, now, I made individual ones and make pillow case like coverlets for them. They slip in and out really easy this way and are easier to clean.

Last edited by mac; 10-10-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:35 PM

I bought a fleece warmer that also has lavender a couple of years ago. I have microwaved it a lot with no problem (love the lavender smell)
Old 10-10-2016, 03:18 PM

For small warmers I like to use flax seed as it does not seem as easy to burn as rice and never has that cooked rice smell. I use a double cover (one to remove and wash and one to retain the seed). For Large warmers I use feed corn. It microwaves nicely and retains the heat for quite a while (got that tip from a nursing home attendant). Again, I use a double cover and velcro fasteners on both sizes.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:21 AM

I have a couple using dried corn and sewn in levi fabric, work very well.