Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Robot vacuum opinions

Robot vacuum opinions

I want one !!!! Do you love yours or hate it ?

Do you have a cat?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Z79ycisDU

All I know about them is Bonnie Hunter got one for her quilt room and it filled with thread and died.

I've never considered one. I figured my dogs would eat it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    He, he. died. I worried about it getting into my sheer curtains that touch the floor. i have two cats and hair everywhere. oh well.

love love mine
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

My daughter’s always got stuck on something, like the edge of an area rug or a cord. I’d love one too but there’s a lot of stuff for it to get around in my house.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    does it have suction, or does it just sweep into a pan?

Blog Entries
    I used to have a roomba. It worked great until it finally broke. I never replaced it because it was so expensive,but that was years ago. Maybe they are more affordable now.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Daughter in law says she likes hers, but, I never see it in use when I am there and it could be, like when everyone but me is at school/work. Hers doesn't have suction, just like a little broom. I don't think I need one. I have a cordless Swiffer vac and a dyson. All seems to work fine for me.
    Alyce

My dtr. had one. It didn't last long and broke. She didn't replace it.
    It took forever to vacuum one room and was noisy.

the noise was the first thing I noticed in the link above. I didn't realize it was just a broom...duh, where did I think the sack full of bits was

My son got a Roomba, which was great at picking up dog hair. However the Roomba got stuck on the dog. He was a Newfoundland, so he just carried it around with him until someone came home and cut it off.

I have a Neato, a different brand. I like it because it goes about the room in a more structured way, so it takes less time to finish, but it is very loud. And lately it seems to think that its trash bin isn't inserted, when it is. My poodle doesn't shed, so I haven't had to deal with dog hair. One of the things I really like about it is that it cleans under the beds, where it's hard to reach.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    ...........Roomba got stuck on the dog. He was a Newfoundland, so he just carried it around with him until someone came home and cut it off..............
    Pardon me while I laugh here .... too funny!
    Knowing how Newfoundlander dogs are, it would just ignore and carry on til they go there.
    Yes, I am still laughing at this one!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

You and me both, QuiltE.....I actually snorted at that mental picture. I can only imagine what the dog's owners reaction was when they came home.

Watson

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    Do you have a cat?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Z79ycisDU

All I know about them is Bonnie Hunter got one for her quilt room and it filled with thread and died.
    Thanx for your responses. No animals in the house. I see my LQS has one charging up in a back corner. I need to ask their opinion, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    You and me both, QuiltE.....I actually snorted at that mental picture. I can only imagine what the dog's owners reaction was when they came home.

Watson
    Probably just laughed, shook their head and said ... typical Newf Dog!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I had one, the thread killed it. I cut it out and tried to be super careful but it still died
    Patski
    always learning

We got one for my mom years ago, a Roomba. She didn't like that it didn't suction, called it a "toy" and gave it to my daughter, who intended to buy one. Daughter likes it, she has a dog.

My friend HAD one and 2 dogs. The dogs got fed too many fatty goodies on Thanksgiving so...when the roomba did it's cleaning thing that night, they had a wonderful surprise waiting for them the next morning. Needless to say after several hours of clean up the roomba found a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    the noise was the first thing I noticed in the link above. I didn't realize it was just a broom...duh, where did I think the sack full of bits was
    I guess I never really thought that through, either.
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

Blog Entries
    So, do I assume from all the comments above, that the Roomba is just for hardwood and linoleum floors and not carpeting? I thought that I wanted one, now I have to rethink this.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    we have a roomba, but it' won't charge right now--if I think about it when I'm not just sitting on the QB, I'll check out the manual and see if I can figure it out. We have 2 dogs and plenty of dog hair. I wasn't any noisier than any other vacumn, but it did seem to take it's time doing the work. My only real complaint is that when it moved from the hardwoods to the rug, it dropped dog hair at the edge. It did fine in the bedrooms with carpeting and great for under the beds and other furniture. We'd like to either get ours working again or replace.

Bought a no wifi Shark a few weeks ago. All hardwoods only a few area rugs & love it!!!! Two cats- not so sure about it. Cat 1 did the Halloween cat impression, then followed as it went away from him & backed up when it came at him. Female, sat & watched & plotted until it docked. Then she batted at the brushes, & patted the blinking lights. When 'Jaws" wouldn't come out to play with her, she paw punched it & happened to hit the power button. Mission complete!! She too loves it, but we do 'lock her up' while cleaning so that she leaves it alone.
    Mine does a really good job & is almost quieter than my Miele cannister. Seems to be a really decent tool.
    sewverybusy1

I have the Deebot 79S brand and absolutely love it. I am currently dogless and never had cats but I love this little vacuum. I use it in my kitchen, dining, family room area that has hard floors. It does go over the area rugs with no problem. You do have to get cords, and fabric type things off the floor but other than blocking the doors I don't want it to go in, just get the remote, push start and off it goes. When finished it takes itself back to the charger and docks. It makes very little noise, can watch TV without adjusting the sound. I generally set it up to run in the morning while I have coffee and "surf the net". I have never timed it so not sure how long it runs, but guessing 45-60 minutes. The little bin is always full of dust bunnies and dirt. Where that stuff comes from, I don't know! lol
    Only one issue: Came home one day and found the vacuum not in its dock. Searched all over and found it stuck under the bed in the guest room (where it never goes). Seems the electricity went out and set it off. My 88 year old mother has one and she told me hers took off when the electricity when off. She also loves hers and uses it as I do. I called the Deebot people and they gave me a code to prevent such a thing. Suggested they put that in the owners manual! Works great and now when there is a blip in the electricity, it just sits on its dock.
    I basically use it to just get up the "ground clutter" in the main living area and use a regular vacuum in the carpeted rooms. It does have suction and little brushes that sweep the litter into the suction area.
    Have had it about a year with no problems and keeps me from having to sweep or vacuum those hard floors every day or so.
    Here is a link to a google search where it is sold in lots of places for less than $200.00 and is highly rated.

https://www.google.com/search?source...31.SIO9vbDnWLY

Blog Entries
    I have a Roomba 980 and love it! I can control it with my phone and have it scheduled to run at the same time each week. I don't have pets, but my daughter has a cat and she has a Neato that she loves. Mine has a low enough profile so that it can go under my bed, sofa, etc. without getting stuck. It goes over my carpet and hardwood without any problems. They only place it will get stuck is under my dining room chairs, so I just put 4 boundary markers around the table when I'll be gone so it won't go there. It runs about 2 hours on a full charge, and then goes back to its docking station to recharge. It has a side brush and good suction--you have your choice of more suction power over carpet or normal suction. Glad I got mine, but I hate to vacuum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast