Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Roku users.

Roku users.

I added the free You tube channel and now can watch all the quilting videos on large tv screen in my sewing room. It's so nice to instantly see a video on the same quilt block or pattern I'm making. I love Roku.

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    I added the free You tube channel and now can watch all the quilting videos on large tv screen in my sewing room. It's so nice to instantly see a video on the same quilt block or pattern I'm making. I love Roku.
    That sounds good. How do I do that?
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    That sounds good. How do I do that?
    Buy a Roku 3 at Best Buy (we recently purchased one there for $89) and hook it up to your tv. I believe you need a free HDMI outlet on your tv in order to do this. Go online to create a free Roku account; however, you do need to put a credit card or other payment option in the account when you set up. This is in case you want to purchase additional channels. For example, we pay $5 a month extra for the Acorn channel which has *tons* of British tv series on it. In the Roku settings, you hook it up to your in-house wifi. That's it. There are many free channels on Roku. As mentioned, you can add the Youtube channel to it for free. The PBS channel is free too (does not include PBS regular programming, but rather has a number of their documentary series on it). If you have Netflix, you can use it through Roku. You can also add Hulu to it (for a subscription price, similar to Netflix). There are many private channels you can add too, some free, some for a subscription price.

I have a ROKU but it is attached to the TV in the bedroom -- just 19". My computer monitor is 22", so I do something similar by having my portable sewing machine on a small table in front of the TV.

I really need to explore ROKU better as I don't have many channels on mine and I'm sure there are other free ones out there. I wish it would stream the free HULU channel.

DS found this online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIpPwATd2sQ

and added it to our ROKU (I think Roku 2 even though we just got it not too long ago)

I tried using it but it is not very user friendly to search. I have a large screen tv in my studio plus the location is right in front of my long arm machine. So I will probably search with my computer online and then enter it into the ROKU/youtube.
    Anna Quilts

I bought the Roku stick for my sewing room. The stick is very portable to move from TV to TV and you can take it with you on trips, anywhere you have a wi fi connection. You don't need the cables for the stick and the HDMI cables are very expensive. All you need is a wi fi connection. All you do is go to add channels on the Home screen and click on the channel you want to add. The paid channel I have are Netflix, Amazon, HBOGo, Showtime, and Acorn. Acorn is all BBC shows. The rest are free channels. I don't mess with Hulu, you have to pay and still get commercials. There are 100's of free channels.
    Last edited by fruitloop; 09-27-2015 at 10:21 AM.

I love ROKU. Netflix has Longmeir, one of my favorite shows. I also watch the quilting tutorials on You Tube. Does anyone know which channel has Pit Bulls and Paroles? I really like that show and haven't figured out where to find it on ROKU.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    We use our Roku all the time. I'm a Longmeir fan too along with lots of British TV. I'm watching Outlander on Starz channel. Outstanding series. I'm not into reality shows so there isn't much on regular TV anymore that interests me. Pit Bulls and Paroles is supposed to be in Hulu. Bring up Hulu and do a search for it.

There are "private networks" on roku that you have to punch a code in to get. Has anyone heard or tried any of these? I heard someone talking about it and I forgot about it until this thread.

We have wireless wifi but it doesn't reach my sewing room so that wouldn't work for me. We tried to extend the router but it seems there is something in the structure of the house that blocks the signals, so we have learned to live with it. But it is frustrating when we need to update the bluray players in the bedroom and sewing room. I went so far to get a portable hot-spot. My daughter needed it for other reasons, and it comes in handy when traveling.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    We had this same problem with wifi in our house. It just wouldn't travel into the rooms off the hallway and we are not in a very big house. It's just a small ranch but there must be something in the walls that stop the wifi. Changed out the router several times and it still didn't work. It just dropped the signal as soon as you walked into one of the "down the hall" rooms. Finally had to run cables under the house and bring them up through the floor to hardwire the computers. Thank goodness we were in a one level house to be able to do this. We too have Roku and Netflix so we don't watch much regular TV anymore. Reality TV is too unreal for me and I cannot stand all the bickering and disrespect that happens on a lot of those shows. Obviously just my opinion of course.

I had the same problem with the wi fi not getting to the back of the house. I bought a router booster and it works great. It plugs in an outlet like a charger.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Thanks for posting this question. I too want to fire my cable bill, just too much to pay with what few stations I watch.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post

I did this yesterday and then binge watched Jenny Doan tutorials! I also found it very interesting to watch the interviews with an apparent local tv show host; how they began and how the Missouri Star Quilt Co. has grown is phenomenal. There's a quirky episode in which Jenny, sitting on the floor working on a quilt, does a Q&A from viewers. It's all VERY informal, but she's as delightful as she is in the more structured tutorials, which are professionally videoed.

One thing though: some videos done by others which show all the shops, the fabric lines, the many aspects of quilting that are available through MSQC, are not well done.....or maybe we're just spoiled by pros. Way too much use of the word "stuff", and too many "selfies" of the person doing the videoing instead of the fabric selections and the stores themselves. A minor quibble, since it is nice to be able to see the layout of Main Street in Hamilton, Missouri, and the very appealing, very organized, very clean Missouri Star Quilt Company stores.

I stream series from Acorn.TV with my Roku and 'watch' while sewing. It is such excellent British television. I love Doc Marten and Miss Fisher's Mysteries, and there are plenty more. So much classier than some of the stuff we have on television these days.

I am glad to see this thread. I don't have a TV but if I ever get one this sounds like the way to go. We can only get satellite here but I really hate paying for the hundreds of channels I will never watch.