Roku users.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:51 AM

Default Roku users.

I added the free You tube channel and now can watch all the quilting videos on large tv screen in my sewing room. It's so nice to instantly see a video on the same quilt block or pattern I'm making. I love Roku.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
I added the free You tube channel and now can watch all the quilting videos on large tv screen in my sewing room. It's so nice to instantly see a video on the same quilt block or pattern I'm making. I love Roku.
That sounds good. How do I do that?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
That sounds good. How do I do that?
Buy a Roku 3 at Best Buy (we recently purchased one there for $89) and hook it up to your tv. I believe you need a free HDMI outlet on your tv in order to do this. Go online to create a free Roku account; however, you do need to put a credit card or other payment option in the account when you set up. This is in case you want to purchase additional channels. For example, we pay $5 a month extra for the Acorn channel which has *tons* of British tv series on it. In the Roku settings, you hook it up to your in-house wifi. That's it. There are many free channels on Roku. As mentioned, you can add the Youtube channel to it for free. The PBS channel is free too (does not include PBS regular programming, but rather has a number of their documentary series on it). If you have Netflix, you can use it through Roku. You can also add Hulu to it (for a subscription price, similar to Netflix). There are many private channels you can add too, some free, some for a subscription price.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:53 AM

I have a ROKU but it is attached to the TV in the bedroom -- just 19". My computer monitor is 22", so I do something similar by having my portable sewing machine on a small table in front of the TV.

I really need to explore ROKU better as I don't have many channels on mine and I'm sure there are other free ones out there. I wish it would stream the free HULU channel.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

DS found this online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIpPwATd2sQ

and added it to our ROKU (I think Roku 2 even though we just got it not too long ago)

I tried using it but it is not very user friendly to search. I have a large screen tv in my studio plus the location is right in front of my long arm machine. So I will probably search with my computer online and then enter it into the ROKU/youtube.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:19 AM

I bought the Roku stick for my sewing room. The stick is very portable to move from TV to TV and you can take it with you on trips, anywhere you have a wi fi connection. You don't need the cables for the stick and the HDMI cables are very expensive. All you need is a wi fi connection. All you do is go to add channels on the Home screen and click on the channel you want to add. The paid channel I have are Netflix, Amazon, HBOGo, Showtime, and Acorn. Acorn is all BBC shows. The rest are free channels. I don't mess with Hulu, you have to pay and still get commercials. There are 100's of free channels.

Last edited by fruitloop; 09-27-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:39 AM

I love ROKU. Netflix has Longmeir, one of my favorite shows. I also watch the quilting tutorials on You Tube. Does anyone know which channel has Pit Bulls and Paroles? I really like that show and haven't figured out where to find it on ROKU.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:54 AM

We use our Roku all the time. I'm a Longmeir fan too along with lots of British TV. I'm watching Outlander on Starz channel. Outstanding series. I'm not into reality shows so there isn't much on regular TV anymore that interests me. Pit Bulls and Paroles is supposed to be in Hulu. Bring up Hulu and do a search for it.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:42 AM

There are "private networks" on roku that you have to punch a code in to get. Has anyone heard or tried any of these? I heard someone talking about it and I forgot about it until this thread.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:19 AM

We have wireless wifi but it doesn't reach my sewing room so that wouldn't work for me. We tried to extend the router but it seems there is something in the structure of the house that blocks the signals, so we have learned to live with it. But it is frustrating when we need to update the bluray players in the bedroom and sewing room. I went so far to get a portable hot-spot. My daughter needed it for other reasons, and it comes in handy when traveling.