Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
rotator cuff surgery and sewing? >

rotator cuff surgery and sewing?

rotator cuff surgery and sewing?

Old 12-22-2012, 03:42 PM

For the best possible outcome, please follow the physio/dr instructions on what to do. I agree with "quiltingcandy" who says to ask what you can do vs what you can't do. Keeping as active as possible within the allowed limits will give the best possible outcome.
Pain meds before physio are great and necessary, but please do not use the meds to allow you to do what you know you shouldn't. Not saying you would, just a precaution from someone who has seen many a person overdo things because they wanted to do something, or show they could "push through" and paid a price.
The success in the end will be determined by how closely you follow your limitations/exercises/physio with influence from your personal health/healing.
Overdoing it in the beginning may lead to a less than ideal outcome. And no guarantees that a repeat surgery will be successful.
Good luck, and I hope you will be back to your regular quilting soon!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Having had 3 rotor cuff repairs on my right side I learned how to use my fingers to do what my hand use to do! Good luck on your surgery!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Cyn

Thanks for the advice! I'm doing what I've been told. I do leave off the sling now a lot but I am VERY careful not to overdo my right arm. I finally start pt in another week. It's been two weeks since my surgery. The doc fixed a dime size hole in the rotator cuff and a bone spur. For the most part everything is good except I'm going crazy without my usual active creative activities to keep me entertained. I'm bored. But there's no use getting worked up cause that's what injuries do for you.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM

Agree with sylvia. Have had 2 this year due to fall. 3 all together. Have reached a junction where not progessing. Can do a little sewing but no free motion or hand work. Even lifting is to hard. Listen to dr. ask pt when and what you are able to do. Good luck.