Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RV/Camper Question

RV/Camper Question

The couch (hide-a-bed) in our camper is very uncomfortable to sit/lay down on, and the hide-a-bed is even worse. We are looking for options to replace it with. So far, a futon seems the most likely replacement. Just wondering if any of you have replaced the couch in your RV/Camper with something more comfortable. It's getting around to that time of year to restock the camper; just need some decent camping weather here in Iowa! Thanks for your help!

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Our couch/hide-a-bed is awfully uncomfortable to sit on also in our 5th wheel. We have not replaced it because we have occasional guests who use it to sleep on. But it is also uncomfortable to sleep on. We have two office-type chairs in the camper that we sit on. We have a small folding table we use to eat from as the camper dining booth is usually full of quilting stuff, cutting mat, and a sewing machine.

From my experience sitting or sleeping on a futon, they are usually not much more comfy than what we have. Not sure what the answer is.

We are also looking forward to having some good camping weather coming. But we are expecting 6 inches of snow tomorrow. Blechhhhhh!

When we bought a new RV a couple of years ago it had 2 couchs in it. One is pretty comfortable but the other one wasn't. We removed one and put a recliner and a chair in it. It has worked out well.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Can you add one of those memory foam pads to place on top? They come in various thicknesses.
    I love mine!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Using an air mattress on top of whatever you have would probably be a big improvement. The air mattress that came with our fifth wheel hideabed sofa is pretty comfortable according to my DD and DGS.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

We had your problem, a futon was the solution, it wasn't real comfy but it was better than the couch it came with. The problem with a replacement is getting the old couch out the narrow door, we actually had to saw it in pieces. We had to put the futon frame together once we got it inside and we folded the mattress in half and tied it together and were able to get it through the door. We had that for about a year and decided to get rid of it because it wasn't that comfy. We got two recliners, most recliners have backs that come off so they come in two pieces. Easy peasy getting them in the door. We are very happy with the recliners. If one of the grandkids goes with us they sleep on an air mattress in a sleeping bag. We live in Calif. and are able to camp year round, we are lucky to be able to do that.

Blog Entries
    We used to be full time RVers & learned pretty quick that RV furniture is not comfortable.Our 5th wheel trailer was so comfy......after we replaced most all of it with furniture from our house,or bought new.
    Have no experience with futons,but whatever works.Be careful tho,the comfy stuff might bring more house guests.
    Pat

We took ours out and put in recliners and my sewing machine/cutting table.

Central Ohio Quilter, we are tired of waiting for good camping weather so we are headed south in a few weeks. After some dr./dentist appts. They always seem to delay us. I doubt that winter will ever end but when it does.....get ready for summer!!!

We left our uncomfortable couch in the fifth wheel-it deters overnight guests except the DGS! He says our RV is only for 3 plus the dog. But I did put a foam pad on the couch and it does sleep better according to him.I don't know why they don't make more comfy furniture in RVs. I also put a foam pad on the bed mattress.

We have replaced the sofa bed with a double recliner. It's comfortable but is hard to put the footrests down. The other problem we have is that we bought a bunkhouse fifth wheel and the grandchildren don't like sleeping there. Wished we would have gotten one that was more comfortable for us. Tried to sell it but no buyers.

RV 5th wheel ,Hid a beds are the pits, haven't found anything to replace ours with either we removed the eating booth/table out of ours and replaced it with 2 recliners, use TV trays to eat on. The booth was not compatible with our age, sliding in and out of it was nuts. But the hid a bed is the next thing I would love to replace, I was thinking about on of the old style ones that the back and seat fold out to make the bed?? our over head buck is not an option for an one but small kids. that we use for storage . Happy camping
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

We have a small (as in tiny) teardrop trailer. It came with 4" foam mattresses for sleeping on. We replaced it with an air mattress and this works great for us. We sleep on a waterbed at home and this is very similar. The only problem is if the weather gets very cool then the mattress gets cool as well.

We took the couch out of our 5th wheel (we had to cut the back to get it out of the coach) and replaced it with two wall away recliners (smaller size) and a queen size air mattress (just in case) We bring in two of our folding camp chairs if we need more seating space inside. I certainly agreed with your opinion of the hide a bed. We are pretty satisfied with our new arrangement.

We remove the uncomfortable sofa and replaced it with a solid Oak desk we found on Craig's List. the desk makes the perfect sewing "room" during our winter migration. We use two office chairs to sit on.

Blog Entries
    DH bought a big brand new 5th wheel a few years ago to try out RVing for the family vacations. He didn't think to check out the sleeping compartments and no one would sleep on them after the first night, not even him. We parked it in a motel parking lot at night for the rest of the trip. LOL He traded it in for a boat. He hasn't mentioned wanting to try again.
    Got fabric?

Not so uncomfortable for these two

We spend about 6 months in our fifth wheel and the couch was just useless...so we purposed it. We have two big dogs who occupied the entire floor. We had to jump over puppy puddles (sprawled out dogs) any time we needed to move. We took off the back pillows and covered the couch with a comforter. Our two furbabies are now out of the way and can look out the windows. We haven't had guests overnight yet, but the hide-a-bed should still be useful as it is well protected and we give visitors the chairs and sit at the dining table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    If you have room and your couch isn't over the water tank I agree with the lady that said put two or 1 recliner chairs if possible, you can always nap in the chair.
    We have a fifth wheel and I bought a new mattress for our bed I Googled RV mattresses. I would have loved to have the chairs.

Try using a light thin board between the mattress and the springs and bars. That keeps you from feeling the iron supports. Also, the idea of a memory foam top sounds good. We had a fouton mattress and it was very comfortable.

We went searching for camp pads (our sienna is our grandchildren carrier and our camper). The backpack ones just weren't enough for our aging bodies! One store told us they didn't have what we wanted, but to go to a certain upholstery store and they would have what we wanted. We laid down on these recommended pads (they were referred tio as "memory foam", aghast at their cost ($100 each!). But they were surprisingly comfortable, and we need that comfort and these pads fit into our car perfectly and they feel sooo good. I had to put covers on them (used fabrics I thought were really ugly and that were a bit heavier). The expense was great, but when we have the family here for special occasions, or just grandkids visiting, these pads are great extra beds! So in the long run they were a very good purchase. Sorry, I don't remember the technical name (maybe "memory foam" is the only name???)! But the store personel and the price can steer you into the right direction.

[Have to add, we live in snow country and all but one of our kids and families live south, so they are always eager to come here for Christmas so the kids can play in the snow. Our max has been 12 of us in our one bedroom apartment! They all used to camp with us when they were kids and they filter into their spaces, and the adults get the sofa bed, the other couch and the pads! The kids bring their quilts and we use other, old store bought quilts for their padding.]
    Last edited by Sierra; 03-25-2013 at 07:44 AM.

My brother and his wife needed to replace their couch in their camper...what they did was ordered a piece of a sectional couch... one end has a arm rest and the other does not... it is so cozy.. can't sleep on it.. but... no one wants to sleep on the original one anyways.. lol
    Faye

Hi Iowa! My hometown is C.R. now in much warmer St Augustine FL - love it and do not miss the weather but do miss my friends and the tulips! Oh yes and rhubarb

Getting a Class A soon sold the RV 24ft trailer. We bought air mattresses and everyone loves them E-Z to inflate with elec pump and very comfortable. New RV we omitted 1 sofa with 2 recliners that fold back with no effort.
    We found with the RV that the queen bed is too short - so when shopping take tape measurer along to make sure the bed is long enough!

It's usually just DH and I with the four leggers but when company comes along those air mattresses and the best.

come visit - it's pretty nice here.

Power Poster
    We have a sofa with an air bed in it...It is very comfortable to sleep on and to sit on....

Blog Entries
    We're Ottumwa, Ia RV'ers. I think you should have a max of 2-3 recliners ( 1 chair could even fold out into a twin bed). Ditch the couch. Have an inflatable bed for company. Get a table for your sewing machine. We have a couch but ditched the table and chairs. Use TV trays...we eat and watch TV anyway. Bought a small chest freezer and put it where the table was. Have a small table between the freezer and couch for my sewing machine. Use the top of the freezer for my cutting mat. :O)

We had a sofa bed in our house and you can buy foam to put under sheets and it makes a big difference and folds up when you close bed and makes sofa better sitting.

we are fulltimers. We have a fifth wheel and originally there were two huge recliners and a small table in the rear. there was a love seat which had a pull out bed. we removed them all and in the rear found the longest couch with pull out that we could get throught the door. LOVE it! I love stretching out on a couch and not a small love seat!
    Then we found a double recliner that fit where the love seat was.
    We have also taken out the dining area chairs as they were too large and it was normallyjust the two of us. We have a few folding chairs for company.
    It is our home!
    Quilting as I go traveling down the road

Count your blessings, not your problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast