Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sachet bags

Sachet bags

What do you fill these with and what do you use for a pleasant scent? Thanks for your suggestions.

When I've made them, I've purchased any potpouri (sp) that I have found to be pleasant at the craft store or Walmart (or the like). Just make sure you leave a large enough opening as some of the elements in the potpouri can be a bit large.

Power Poster
    I use lavender that I harvest and dry from my garden.

Blog Entries
    You can put cedar in them for the closet, you can get the unscented chips and then buy the essential oils that you like and put them in it. You can even fill them with cotton balls and it'll stay fresh for along time.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Tartan, lucky you. i'd love to smell one of those!!!!
    for the cedar. you can use small animal shavings. they are cedar and small great
    and keep the moths away without that small of moth balls.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    mmm! i grow it to can't get enough of the scent i could smell it all day

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    At the risk of sounding really dumb, how do you harvest it? I have two patches of it and would love to do this. I have a black thumb, can't keep a house plant alive to save my life! I don't do any gardening at all; the lavender was planted several years ago by DH. I don't touch it, that's why it's still alive! Thanks, Tartan!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I make small little sachets from muslin 'tea bags' I used to buy at Whole Foods. They only hold about 2 tablespoons of very fragrant dried lavender and cedar shavings which I bought online.
    I put one of these on every shelf of my fabric, in each container of strips/squares/triangles, and in each large container where my quilts are stored. Never had a bug problem, the fabric always stays fresh and a bit sweet. Some of these sachets I've had for years; to freshen them I only have to roll them a bit between my fingers and the scent is as noticeable as ever.

Jan in VA.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Jan, excellent idea for fabric storage. Never thought of that.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    At the risk of sounding really dumb, how do you harvest it? I have two patches of it and would love to do this. I have a black thumb, can't keep a house plant alive to save my life! I don't do any gardening at all; the lavender was planted several years ago by DH. I don't touch it, that's why it's still alive! Thanks, Tartan!
    Depends on what you plan on doing with it. If it's for sachet bags then harvest any time. If you want stalks then harvest just as the flowers begin to open. Grab a handful of stalks and cut the bunch. Wrap a rubber band tightly around the bottom of th stalk and hang them upside down to dry in a cool dry place. When the flowers are dry gently rub the flowers off for sachet. A cute craft to make is lavender wands. http://www.homemade-gifts-made-easy....der-wands.html
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Power Poster
    I cut my flowers stems as tesspug has mentioned. I hang them in the garage upside down until they dry. I keep a little bouquet of dried flowers by my sink for the winter. The rest I strip from the stem and make into little packets for my dresser drawers.

Blog Entries
    I hang mine upside down inside a paper bag to dry. The seeds collect in the bag.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I made some for winter using dried orange peel, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and vanilla soaked rice. They smelled wonderful but way too strong for my allergies! Gave them all away. Btw, I made the bags with small crazy quilt blocks.
    Shirley in Arizona

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My grandmother had a lot of lavender growing in her yard. She used it a lot after drying it. It was the only thing she used for room deodorizers and sachets in her drawers and closets. she would hang them near the light bulb to enhance the fragrance in the closets and the light above the sink. She would also open a window when she cleaned an atleast a little in the winter time while cleaning each room.