Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: sad and scary incident at school yesterday

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There was a very sad and scary incident at the high school in my district yesterday... so the photo content is nicely distracting me from that creepy feeling of "what if..."

Here's the superintendent's note:http://www.canandaiguaschools.org/news.cfm?story=1100

and more info can be found here: http://www.13wham.com/news/local/sto...fopA00JDg.cspx

My daughter said she freaked for a minute when she heard "shooting" and my district in the same sentence--but she goggled it and found the story. (I teach in the Elementary building.) I hadn't had time to call her. I had Kennedy and her brother here after school because their dad had to go to a debriefing.

This commmunity has really been hit in the past few years.

Karla, sorry that this has happened. I hope that all of the students are ok. They will need a lot of support over the comming weeks.

Kyia

Oh, how sad. :cry:

OMG Karla! That's insane!
    I'm glad no others were hurt in the incident, but just a shame that this kid thought that shooting himself was the only out he had. Thoughts and prayers to this boys family!

Oh how sad, scary, and down right maddening.......WHY.....what can we do as parents and teachers to help our young children.....what is the answer????........this is happening way to much......

How truly sad, for him, for the family, the community. Everyone loses when its a suicide.

Schools and communities need education to spot the signs and what to do. He obviously had other issues happening and counseling should have part of that suspension.

I hope they have massive amounts of information coming out of every corner to get to these students.

Very sad and scary.

Blog Entries
    Sooo terrible for everyone..and sad.

How tragic!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Karla, what an awful thing! My thoughts are with that poor boy's family.

K x

Blog Entries
    that is so sad...wonder what drove that 17 year old to that extreme

WOW! Karla, that is just awful. With everything they found, it almost sounds like he was planning more, and I am so glad that he didn't hurt anyone else. It is so sad if he felt he did not have anyone to talk to and get some satification with his suspension. So sad!

How tragic, for the kids at that school and also for the boy's family.

Blog Entries
    My thoughts and prayers go to the family. How tragic that the young man felt there was nothing left for him. If they only realized the pain they leave behind.
    Sharon

How sad that he was not recognized as a troubled youth! Awareness is a great healer, and gets our heads up and looking for other signs. Praying that everyone who needs it gets help! Praying also that there are lots of "talk sessions" in school and at homes with lots of listening!
    A number of years ago, there was a pste of suicides in our middle school. More awareness of all concerned has made a big difference.
    Take deep breaths and do what you need to do!

Blog Entries
    Too many of these type of tragedies.... Hugs and prayers to the boys family, friends and the community

prayers being sent to the boys family.

Blog Entries
    How awful for everyone concerned. Sounds as if he may have had more planned with so much ammunition this had the potential to be so much worse. I am sorry the boy felt he had no other option. My prayers go out to his family and the community. I pray that some good can come of such an awful situation and that this school and all schools take a closer look at troubled youths. Kids do not have the wonderful life I was blessed with growing up in the 50's and 60's. They have so much pressure on them, so little time to just have fun and be kids, everything is so competitive for them from a very early age.

Amen, Sharon M.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    From what I've heard today he was a popular boy--very active in his church--in three sports. :(

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Everyone did a beautiful job at school today. Kids at the high school were strong and supportive of each other. Kids in my class needed to talk it through--we had a pretty deep discussion about life having muddy spots that required one to pull on their boots--and that there are always, always, always rainbows once the mud is past... but the mud will keep showing up, but nothing is ever worth throwing away all one's tomorrows.

I wrote a poem about the lesson, but I don't want to post it because I can't edit as needed if I change something after 20 min. :?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The super's message tonight: [urlhttp://www.canandaiguaschools.org/news.cfm?story=1102[/url]

How tragic! :( I just don't understand when this became an option, nothing is that bad that it can't be worked out. So sad for those left behind to pick up the pieces. :(

Just read this in our paper this evening. My prayers go out to everyone. May you find comfort in the shadow of angels wings.

so sad that parents and friends didn't recognize that he had a problem before he could carry out any plan and end his way to young life!

God Bless you, Karla, we never know what any day will bring, do we?