Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Santa -- wrapped or unwrapped? >

Santa -- wrapped or unwrapped?

Santa -- wrapped or unwrapped?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Sis

Location: Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer

I think our gifts were wrapped when we were younger but as we got older, mom felt it was such a waste of money and paper to wrap them. So she was one of the original "gift bag" people by using paper grocery bags stapled closed. (Man, I wished she would have patented that 'gift bag' idea.)
Because I grew up with that thinking I naturally carried it over to my boys. They still kid me about being "cheap" for not wrapping their gifts but I told them I used the extra money to buy them a better gift. Would they have rather had the fancy paper? Of course they said "NO!" :-)
Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:23 AM

We opened gifts on Christmas Eve, then Santa left his gifts unwrapped under the Christmas tree. We didn't put up stockings. With our children, we followed the same tradition except they did hang stockings.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Jim

As a child everything was wrapped...As a Parent we wrapped everything..gifts from us and gifts from Santa...as a Grandparent....we wrap most..some they get before Christmas and the rest on Christmas Night...we are the last stop for the day for our kids and grandkids...we see them at my In-laws....they go to their in-laws then back here for a late dinner and gifts. I love Christmas and I love Christmas being OVER
Old 12-19-2010, 01:01 AM

Santa's gufts were unwrapped. When I was about 4, it was a problem for each of the four of us to decide which gift was ours. My Dad suggested that we put our shoes under the tree to let Santa know which child he was giving to. It became a tradition and we always coveted a special place under the tree for our shoes.

My elder brother always sneaked down the stairs to see what Santa had brought and then quickly wake up the rest of us. Mom and Dad said that they had hardly gotten to sleep when we were clammering for them to wake up for Christmas.

With my own children in Beirut, we had stockings for the boys and did not wrap Santa's gifts. Funny, they always waited for sunrise on Christmas morning before beginning the celebrations.

Thanks for the memories.

Connie
Old 12-19-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by fratcat
All of our toys from Santa were unwrapped and under the tree or surrounding the tree. The gifts from our parents and other family members were all wrapped. several of our christmas stocking gifts were also wrapped.
This is the same way ours were done and we loved the thrill of seeing all the beautiful things Santa left us!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:08 AM

Wrapped. The kids could get their stockings in the am, so we could sleep a little longer.
Also, randomly spread under the tree. Someone played santa and passed out the presents. We watched each person open their present before another was given out.
This sure taught patience and respect.
Now, my husband grew up with santa presents were not wrapped and each kids presents were stacked all together. They just dove in and opened their pile.
I liked how I grew up better, so that is what we did. See the first description. The only thing that I didn't wrap was a doll each year that my daughter got.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:53 PM

The gifts we gave to our kids were from Santa. Always wrapped unless it wes a bike or something like that. One year when our youngest was in high school, we put from mom and dad on the tags and when in two days we were getting calls from the kids saying we KILLED Santa. So we went back to Santa. The gifts to the the grandkids are from grandma and grandpa
Old 12-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Judie
Guess I wasn't a very good girl.. neither were my sister or brother because we never ever had anything from Santa..

After I got older I asked my Mom why.. she said they didn't have much money and was not about to give a gift that they couldn't get credit for. Hummm.. and besides, she said, Santa is just a big lie.. why tell a child something that they will find out isn't the truth.. humm...

I don't know. I sort of always wanted Santa to come to our house, he just never did. So wrapped or unwrapped doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is that he can come to your house.
Judie, your post reminds me of one of my all-time favorite books "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" When Katie asks her mother why she should tell her children about things that aren't true, like Santa, fairies, etc Katie's mother wisely explained that children must believe in these things when they are little so that they will grow up to handle life's real disappointments. That book is such a treasure!!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:32 PM

Ours were wrapped except for the year we got bicycles! :lol:
Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Kas

When I was little, Santa left almost all the gifts and they were unwrapped. Now, we leave a couple of them unwrapped and wrap the rest. I had forgotten about that! It was such fun to come in and see the toys all lined up and waiting for us! But our kids love to unwrap those presents, so I don't know if I will change how we do things.