Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Saving  cardboard bosses and plastic containers - - - >
  • Saving cardboard bosses and plastic containers - - -

• Saving cardboard bosses and plastic containers - - -

Old 10-01-2016, 04:53 PM
    Power Poster

No, I don't have room to save boxes. I save large plastic bins to put quilts into. When closets are full everything has to go. I refuse to live in clutter.
    Old 10-02-2016, 02:04 PM

I live in a very small house now. I have a small supply of the priority UPS boxes for mailing things out of state. I used to have a big attic and saved all sorts of boxes.

Phoenix has a wonderful recycling program so all plastic containers go in there. After moving across country and having to purge so much stuff, I am determined to keep things in check now.
    Old 10-03-2016, 03:58 AM

I have purged a lot with a remodel but still have some good sturdy boxes that our hog come in from the butcher. Getting a beef here soon and they don't box it for you so I have the good ones for that.
    Old 10-06-2016, 04:31 PM

Cardboard boxes attract bugs, so I get rid of them.
    And I would really prefer cardboard bosses.
    Old 10-06-2016, 06:56 PM

You know what I love to save...those blue plastic containers that mushrooms come in. I have reused a few but now try to recycle them. I really think it's just the color I'm attracted to. That beautiful berry blue...
    Old 10-08-2016, 10:54 AM

I purged a lot of plastic containers when we moved and I have been purging the boxes we used in our move. Thy just take up too much room. As I have been organizing my new sewing room, I have kept those plastic boxes that I can immediately use. Closer to spring, I will keep some plastic trays to use for starting seeds (this house has a wonderful green house and I am excited to use it to start some seeds). I try not to hold onto anything now -- even fabric I no longer love because I don't have room.
    Old 10-08-2016, 02:27 PM

Having been raised by depression-era parents, I have been brought up in the don't-throw-anything-out-because-you may-need-it-someday mind set. I am selective though.....and even have been known to toss things!
    Old 10-08-2016, 03:24 PM

Oh this topic touches a nerve.

My dad is a hoarder of anything plastic (plus other things). It started to get really bad over 35 years ago (he is 87), when he actively 'collected' empty 1 litre, 4 litre and 5 gallon oil containers. He pilled them up, in boxes, outside, but of course over 35+ years the boxes have all rotten away.

He also 'saves' every plastic knife, fork and spoon, stir sticks too. He wipes them off with a napkin and brings them home. First they go into a drawer, then when the drawer is too full, he puts them in a plastic bag and tosses the bag on the piles of oil containers. Of course the plastic bags rot away too. Last weekend my brother and I filled 5 huge contractor garbage bags, and barely made a dent in on pile (there are multiple piles). I had to take it to the dump and got a bonus of a bunch of spiders in my car.

But I cannot point fingers, I have boxes and boxes of books. I need to put them in the car and take them to the thrift shop.

We have curbside recycling where I live, plastic containers go out every other week. I do keep one or two boxes for shipping things to my son. It usually works out that I receive an order from Amazon just when I need a box.

Fabric stash does not count as hoarding.
    Old 10-08-2016, 05:42 PM

Bearisgray - can I join your compulsion group😄😄😄. I, too have a problem with getting rid of boxes of any kind and plastic containers. Noodles & Company has wonderful take-home containers with really tight lids and it kills me when I see my husband throw his in the garbage. I just cut up and recycled a few boxes and I'm already regretting it. You should see our garage. Oh, and I did forget about the bubble wrap stuff and those air pillow shipping thimgies - whatever they are called. And then there are all my quilt magazines, and .............😁

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
    Old 10-08-2016, 07:37 PM

Just have to share this story. We moved to Baton Rouge, LA in May. We got all unpacked and managed to share our boxes with a friend's son who was moving. However, we still had a ton in our garage. I kept wondering when hubby was going to get rid of them. But, I didn't ask, I'd unpacked all of those and didn't really care what happened to them after that. Then the flood happened. We were so thankful that we still had the boxes. We were able to give them to people whose homes had flooded and they needed to pack up things. It was a good feeling to be able to contribute during this horrible disaster. My hubby tends to be more of a saver than I am. I guess that's a good balance.