Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Saving money

I went to change or download my TV/Telephone/Broadband package with BT, our national supplier, I got a 25 per month discount, about a 1/3rd and told to ring back at the end of the year's contract for best prices, if you don't ask you don't get.

We cut it and went to net flix cheapest program. So glad we did. I got sick of direct tv and how they were.

you mentioned stopping TV. Has anyone else noticed of all the hundreds of channels there is nothing to watch. Except for not knowing what is going on in the world I am at a point I would just as soon do without. Sometime I wonder if my blood pressure would be better if I did not know what is going on. Ya'll excuse the mood I just need to vent.

I'll tell you my little story. We leased a car years ago that had XM radio which we had never had. We loved it but at the end of the 3-month trial got a bill for something like $33 for three months. I knew those customer service people could change ANYTHING if they were asked to so I told them to cancel the service because it was too expensive. Long story short, I told them we wouldn't pay more than $5.00 a month for it and they left the phone for a minute and came back and said 'ok'. We had it for $5.00 a month for the remainder of our lease............now we have a purchased older car and no XM. I loved it!! They sure didn't want to lose our business!!

Blog Entries
    We downgraded our programming with DirectTV and they made it sound so good - now we have less than nothing to watch - newschannels - sports channels which we are not into - no public broadcasting network at all - and it seems the bill keeps increasing - so out the door with them!! We are planning to go back to the antennae - watch local channels which I think number 4 or 5 of them - and if there is nothing on to watch - it is still free!!! Not in the $50 range for basic tv which we ordered when we down graded! I'd say Direct tv "screwed" themselves this time!!! Sorry folks for those how enjoy their viewing through them - we don't.......

We had a plan with Cable TV that locked in price for 2 yrs. with no penalties if you quit them. Now to get the least increase in price you have to guarantee them 2 yrs. or pay a stiff penalty for discontinuing service. TV has gotten so raunchy these days I wonder how much more we could do if we just didn't have it! It is tempting!

We don't have DirectTV but we run into the same thing with our cable company. I always feel like I can't get straight answers about what is included in what plan and walk away feeling like I've been subjected to some shell game.

Our main tv borke. Best thing that ever happened. Decreased the tv package for the kids in the basement- I want to get rid of it too.

Blog Entries
    I complained about the extra $10 month fee for HD on Direct TV and they gave me a year for free. Dish gives it free for the entire year so I'm working on that aspect. I won't switch, love Direct BUT saving money in this economy is important.

Blog Entries
    My DH watches TV but I haven't had mine on for about three months, and don't miss it. I do spend lots of time on this board looking at quilts, and "visiting" with all the nice people here. Nothing much to watch on TV in my opinion. I'd rather quilt while listening to nice music. ;)

We had many of those services over time and finally pitched them all. We decided it wasn't worth the money- If we want to watch something we pop in a DVD. Too much time was spent looking for good programs on alot fewer channels then we needed. Dropping those services was well worth the savings. Oh ya and for those of you who have been told they need their dish back off your rooftop- tell them they're welcome to have it as long as they get it themselves and not damage the roof. (They stop nagging you really quick)

Anytime they offer you a promotional deal for 6 months or so, they're counting on you forgetting to chg. it at the end of that period. I got sucked into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G
    Anytime they offer you a promotional deal for 6 months or so, they're counting on you forgetting to chg. it at the end of that period. I got sucked into that.
    Same thing goes for our local Fish Wrapper...I mean news paper. Just got their annual promotion this week. I subscribe to the weekend pkg (Friday thru Sunday) mainly because I want to Sunday paper for the coupons. Their latest offer is for 7 days a week for the price of the weekend package for 11 months!! Thanks, but no thanks!

I wanted to tell him that if they can afford to give me (and others) 4 free papers a week for 11 months, they could afford to publish something worth reading....Newspapers are only good for wrapping dead fish and lining bird cages anymore. :thumbup:

We should try that with u-verse. We really need to cut back and dh's been complaining about how much our package is.

Seriously every single time I hear a great new offer from competion I call our cable company and say I get it for so much cheaper if I go with so and so. And they lower my bill. I have gone from 180 mo to 120 mo. I am ready to call them again as they are offering a bundle pkg for 90 mo. Since I already have the bundle I should get the bundle pkg.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!

I think cable is a rip off. I remember way back when it first came to the town we were living back in the early 1980's. My husband wanted it to watch all the football games. It was $10 for basic cable. I remember saying to him, "You're going to pay $10 just to watch TV ?" You're crazy. Now it's really high with internet. We have been thinking of getting rid of our land line phone. That's over $30 and we hardly ever use it and don't use it for long distance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2