Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Saving website tutorials, patterns, etc., as a pdf

Saving website tutorials, patterns, etc., as a pdf

I don't know about you, but over the years, I've saved website links to tutorials and patterns that I thought I would need someday, only to find that when I go back to them, they are gone or have moved or are no longer valid links.

Not being too computer savvy, I have found a way to save the website items by saving as a pdf, and saving it to a file that I have created that would be easy to go back and find. (paperless - yay!) To do this, when you are in the website, try this:

(i.e.) http://thecraftymummy.com/2014/10/mini-spool-block/
    click: File, Print
    (I clicked on pages 2-9)
    Instead of printing, click on the drop down menu, "PDF" and click on "Save as a PDF"
    Save to the file you want to store it in.

If you are using a Mac, a new feature appeared in this last update of Yosemite, and you can save it in iBooks. It even shows a picture of the first page you are saving, which makes it easy to find the pattern you are looking for. So nice!

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Girlfriend; 10-26-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Blog Entries
    There's no PDF in my drop down list but I have cute pdf installed and that's on there. If anyone doesn't have PDF in their drop down list either, cute pdf is free.

Blog Entries
    Oh also, if you use evernote you can save webpages to it too. It saves it all so that if the website disappears, you can still access it. The bonus is that you can access it from any computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.

I just copy and paste into a Word doc. I may download CutePDF.

I did, it works BUT it changed a lot of settings on my computer. Now for the fun on resetting it so I don't have to put up with pop ups.

It also logged me out of EVERY website and wiped out my saved passwords.
    Last edited by Suzanne57; 10-26-2014 at 08:26 PM.

I save as PDFs I. iPhone. I have them in different folders too.
    (\ (\
    (>':')
    (,( )( )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne57 View Post
    I did, it works BUT it changed a lot of settings on my computer. Now for the fun on resetting it so I don't have to put up with pop ups.

That's weird. I have installed it on several computers and have never had that happen. In fact it was recommended not only by several techs that I know, but by a lot of computer magazines. Did you download it directly from the Cute PDF website? Download.com and cnet bundle crapware with their programs so I never download from them anymore.

Blog Entries
    You can also click Control P and use the Microsoft Document Writer to print to a file.
    http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/bibliostone/library/
    Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.
    -- Eleanor Hibbert,
    British author

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne57 View Post

It sounds like there's something else going on with your computer, and might want to take it in for a diagnostic/repair.

I just went to my programs and uninstalled anything that was installed yesterday except the two programs needed by CutePDF and that seems to have solved the problems. As for passwords, I have them all written down on a piece of paper as I have learned that lesson before. No one else lives here so I don't worry about them being misappropriated by having them written down. I did use the CutePDF website.

I just save them on Adobe as PDF. It is just hard trying to remember the names of all the quilt patterns.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I use Cute PDF. It allows me to assign whatever name I want to the file and then store it in whatever folder I want. Really like having it.

Thank you so much for the tutorial. At first I could not find the option to save as PDF Until I clicked on the option to change the destination printer.
    Carmen E.

My favorite PDF maker is a free download called Print Friendly http://www.printfriendly.com/ which allows you to save a webpage to PDF. It also removes the ads and other junk so you get a clean copy if you just want a quick print. You can get a toolbar link and it is quick and easy. This is how I save all my craft ideas.

Blog Entries
    I have seen print friendly used on recipe blogs and I love when they have it. I can print a recipe and choose to leave out whatever I want to (other conversation, comments, etc). I didn't know it was a download that anyone could use-I'm off to check it out!

I added the PrintFriendly option to Chrome and am looking forward to using it.

I've noticed cnet adds a bunch of crap to downloads too. I used to trust that site. I tried to put something on a nice clean Win 7 laptop I bought for hubby for work and spent a couple of hrs cleaning it up!
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    Added it here too. Tonight I am going to my pinterest page and find all the tutorials I pinned that I know I want to make and save them to pdf and then to evernote. Then I can access them easily from my laptop even if the original pages go down.

Blog Entries
    There are some articles online about how cnet and download.com have changed. I posted one here but it's probably been a year or close to it. It's a shame because a lot of companies use that site to host their download files and also they've always been trusted in the past.

Blog Entries
    Oh my heck. It worked! I just did one as a test and print friendly is a miracle!! I see myself making lots of things for christmas presents from my pinterest boards now. woohoo!

Isn't it great that technology is making it easier to go paperless?!

Sometimes, I change, or add to the name of the pdf, so it makes it easier to find later - i.e. identifying information such as "Churn Dash" if it's a variation of such, etc.

Using the Search function on your computer makes it easier to find files that you can't remember where you saved them. I use "Spotlight" on my mac, and love how easy finding files is with that feature.

Blog Entries
    As I've been saving them, I have been changing the name to the name of the tutorial and adding the website name to the end.