Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scorpions!!!

Yuck! I hate scorpions with a passion. I keep finding them in my house. I just found a live one in my sewing room. I can deal with spiders, roaches, flies anything but scorpions. And the bummer part, I just had the house sprayed last week....I guess they are trying to beat the heat just like the rest of us. 8-)

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    One more reason I will stay up North!! ;)

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I have hebegebes now!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackkip
    Yuck! I hate scorpions with a passion. I keep finding them in my house. I just found a live one in my sewing room. I can deal with spiders, roaches, flies anything but scorpions. And the bummer part, I just had the house sprayed last week....I guess they are trying to beat the heat just like the rest of us. 8-)
    OH Yuck! scorpions and spiders!! :twisted: :XD:

Get a cat! I hate scorpions, my cats keep bringing me dead ones. I guess they want me to be proud of them?

spiders never bother me. But this particular scorpion was laying on the floor. Thought it was dead. Went to scoop it up and he started to move....Yuck! :shock:

This is about the 5th one we have found in the house in the last month. My DD had one in her shower. She didn't realize it unitl she was inside the shower. Needless to say she came out screaming. :lol:

Blog Entries
    I have never seen a scorpion -- but I really hate spiders!!

Blog Entries
    ah,one thing i don't miss about Houston. that and roaches. tree roaches too!

I have never found them in the house until this year. They are even in the flowerbeds. They said it was all the rain we had - who knows. Have sprayed outside the house and inside. Have found two petrified in the dryer and still intact. Yuck!

SC
    Blog Entries
    I've always thought scorpions were evil looking little creatures! Just plain evil looking!

tmw
    get yourself some sticky boards and put around in places , likes doors and windows, get them at stores like the home depot or lowes. we catch all kinds of things, and now its the big, and i mean big, transulas [sp] i have bad dreams about these things!!!!

Ick, I feel ya. I've never seen a scorpion in Florida, but I know we have them. On the other hand, I have snakes everywhere. They're gonna give me a heart attack. Stupid snakes.

I feel for you. I lived in southern New Mexico for a few years and we found them everywhere, even in the washing machine. We had centipedes too and roaches We learned to keep our clothes hung up and turned our shoes upside down at night. Hope they leave soon.

I have seen one or two in the past, but not this many. The Bug guy told me it was because we had so much rain. He said they were trying to get to higher ground. But then when it is dry, he says that they are looking for water :-P I just wish they would stay outside......

Blog Entries
    The spraying might have brought them indoors. Last year my husband and I checked into a hotel in AZ and found a very lethargic black widow spider on the bed. We were told that they had just had the place sprayed. I think it came indoors to die.

We used to have a lot of scorpions untill we got rid of the pine trees near the house. I was told the live under the bark.....I killed one the other day, the first one I have seen in the house in quite a while. :?

I have a funny story to tell ya I'll keep it short. lol

My dad went out of town for work, they flew down to El Paso from Missouri, a guy from the Co. picked them up at the air port and on the way to their hotel he was telling them about insects of the region. lol Of course scorpions were on the list. Well my dad has always had long hair and he always kept it pulled back in a ponytail at the nape of his neck so he could wear a welding helmet and it didn't get in the way, even to bed he wears it like this. Anyways, that night he JUMPS out of bed flipping out. He swore he was being stung, really it was just his ponytail pulling a couple pieces of hair right on the neck line. After two weeks of being in El Paso he came home and cut all his hair off.

Icky!!!!

One of those nasty buggers nailed me over a year ago and I still have a scar! I could not believe how bad I hurt over that evil thing!

Blog Entries
    Guys! You giving me the willies here!!! We only have a little brown mouse that's claimed the kitchen for his own pantry. He's a brazen little thing. My son set out the sticky trap for him and he ate the bits of nuts out of the MIDDLE without even touching the goo. Mike's ready to get the bb gun out. I don't know which I'm more afraid of, the mouse or the "great white hunter"!

Funny how we're all freaked out by different things. A mouse in my house? I'd have to move! I've had a snake in here and that was bad enough. A mouse would send me over the edge. And a rat, just shoot me now. I hate being a city girl! We should all remember we're bigger and can buy pesticides or call exterminators. We're tough quilters! LOL!

I have been blessed. I have lived in AZ for 16 years now and never seen a wild scorpion! I had to go to the zoo to see one right after we moved here. Now, my DD when she lived here had dead ones drop onto her stove from the fan several times. YUCK!

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I just saw scorpions for the first time this month, on a church mission trip to Nicaragua.

I was told that the ones in Nicaragua are not venomous so if you get stung, it's rather like a bee or wasp sting: unpleasant, but you get over it.

But... aren't some scorpions venomous? Where do THOSE ones live?

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Funny how we're all freaked out by different things. A mouse in my house? I'd have to move! I've had a snake in here and that was bad enough. A mouse would send me over the edge. And a rat, just shoot me now. I hate being a city girl! We should all remember we're bigger and can buy pesticides or call exterminators. We're tough quilters! LOL!

I have gotten use to the mice and rats. I have a cat that is quite the hunter and a doggie door. Needless to say the two don't always work to my advantage. My cat brings me prizes about once a month. Usually alive and usually wanting to escape captivity! She brings them in and drops them and is done with them. Leaves me to get them out of the house. She will find a high perch and you can almost see her laughing at my antics of getting them outside. My favorite time was the night my DH resorted to throwing Beanie Babies at a Rat. He was happy that he finally found a good reason to have all of the beanies still stored under the bed :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    But... aren't some scorpions venomous? Where do THOSE ones live?
    The one that got me was venomous. I swelled up like a D cup bra, and within days, the tissue began to die off. Despite tea tree oil, first aid cream, and Benedryl, it hurt a LOT! It took months to recover. Don't know what would have happened if I had insurance and would've been able to see a doctor.

We think the one that got me was a wood scorpion, small but powerful. Since I had never been exposed before, my body didn't know what to do with the poison.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast