Scrapbookers please help

Old 12-09-2013, 12:00 AM

Default Scrapbookers please help

Hi, I have watched scrapbooking shows in the past so I know a small amount about the subject. This past week I saw a Christmas tree decorated with paper roses and it was beyond beautiful to me. So I went on a quest to find out more about the tree. Could not find anything about it. Could not even find a picture on Pinterest. I searched the internet for a tutorial on how to make paper roses and I found one on the type of rose I was looking for. This tutorial used one of those craft machines with a die to cut the paper for the rose but I think I can do it with scissors. I also found a hint saying to use scalloped scissors to cut out the paper parts.

So Sunday loaded with my coupons from Joanns and Michaels I went looking for scrapbook paper to make this tree. What I found out is that the 12 x 12 packets of scrapbook paper is the same as buying a Layer Cake or Fat Quarter bundle of fabric. Only half the pages are useable for a project. Some pages are labels, some are glitter. Some just would not work for a paper rose.

So here is my question. Does a designer of scrapbook paper work the same as a designer of fabric? Do you accumulate the paper 12 x 12 packs each year until you get enough to make a project? I looked thru the loose papers and there were none that would work. Also between the 2 stores the packets of paper were by different companies and I don't think they would work together color wise as one was based on white backgrounds and the other based on tan backgrounds.

The only store left is Hobby Lobby and I will try to get there this week and see what they have but I suspect it will be the same situation I found at Joanns and Michaels.

Are there any Christmas papers that are not sold at the big box craft stores?

If I have confused you I am sorry. LOL Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Old 12-09-2013, 04:43 AM

I used to scrapbook before I caught the quilting bug. For Vacation books, Cub Scouts, Wedding books and main events that are entire book worthy. I would use the paper packs since everything went together, purchasing solids (much like fabric) for backgrounds and using the prints throughout. If I was just doing a day to day of birthday parties, school events, holidays, I would purchase separate pages. Especially when they went on sale at HL or J's. Michaels has scrap paper also. If you have a Scrapbook store in your area, it's like a LQS, it will have different papers not at the bigger stores. HL and J's have papers printed for them.
Each page in a scrapbook doesn't have to be the same like a side by side quilt block. As long as the two facing each other coordinate, it works. Sorry, I haven't seen the paper rose pattern.

Last edited by toverly; 12-09-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Wish you had a picture so I could see what the flowers looked like. Since it is just paper, I would look for other sources, perhaps coloured printer paper? What about Christmas wrapping paper cut into squares?
Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 AM

Have you tried to find the paper you want online? I just checked Amazon and they sell scrapbook papers.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I would do an internet search and Tartans ideas were really nice.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 AM

I've seen scrapbook pages sold by the individual sheet, in the past. Am thinking it was probably at Hobby Lobby.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:13 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply. I think I will start collecting paper! LOL
Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM

Yes, when scrapbooking was in its "heyday" there were many scrapbooking stores all around. They sold paper by the piece mostly. You might look in your phonebook to see if there are any in your area. Best if you live in a large city/area.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:48 PM

E-bay-I buy a lot of scrapbooking stuff off of there.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:18 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

for paper and OMG embellishments we used to go to Cord Camera. it closed. I cried. so I shop online. 2 peas in the bucket, Archievers, and Scrapbook.com for starters. I prefer to order sheets -from the same line- they coordinate like fabric lines. I buy solids by the pack.

A
n the big box stores have so o o little compared to online. LOTS of choices
d

Last edited by cherrio; 12-10-2013 at 10:22 AM.