Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Secret Shopper - Legit?

dd

Secret Shopper - Legit?

I saw an ad the other day for a secret shopper job. Just wondered if anyone had actually worked this type of job. Is this really legit? Draw backs? You know your mother always told you, if it sounds too good to be true... It sounds good to me. If this is legit, I might have to apply. It says no money up front.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Power Poster
    No experience but it saying "no money up front" sounds like there might be expenses later?

Blog Entries
    I had a friend that did it a lot. I just did demos.
    sometimes the demos were $25-50 an hour.
    usually just one to two hrs. give it a try. I knew a woman who only sat thru the beginings of movies for $25
    she had to make sure that they played all the previews.
    Another who bought gas. so give it a try, let us know what happens.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I had to check out restaurants. I ended up just getting coupons. Never reimbursed for the meals at all. Had observe all the aspects. From food to observing the waiters and attitudes also at the different fast foods. One time was at a big box restaurant. Service was awful and made notation that DH and I ended up going to the doctor because of food poisoning. Showed proof. Sent them the bill. they didn't want to pay the bill for DH doctor. Told them they had to or I was going to take them to court and it would cost a lot more. That was the last. See what your first assignment is. Much of the time they want you to go at off peak hours. Many get lazy and they want to know how much their profit and loss margin is. All depends. Usually if a business is losing revenue that's when they call a "Secret Shopper".

I have a friend who did it. Her advice to me was don't respond to Internet solicitations, don't give money. Do your own internet search to find a legitimate group. I never did it. She enjoyed it for a long time
    Alyce

I worked for a chain gas station/convenience store. Corporate hired secret shoppers to check cleanliness of store, lot, bathrooms and how cashiers interacted with customers. If we did well, we received gift cards; if not, a reprimand or write-up.

A friend of mine's husband did it - he had to go to various stores and buy small items, and see if they asked for his "Air Miles" card. He was reimbursed up to a certain amount for purchases, paid mileage and a flat fee per store checked. He did this for quite awhile, until he got bored. (I think he would have eventually exhausted the local business area he was sent around in too).

I started with the restaurant one once. Pages and pages of questions. No way could I remember all that without filling it out at the table. I quit before ever going one time. I thought it was too time-consuming to be worth it.

My friend's husband hired people to "secret shop". Don't know details of those people, but this same friend would get paid to go to movies and her job was to count the people in the theatre and make a report. The movie industry was making sure they didn't get ripped off on ticket sales.

I been a "Secret Shopper" on and off for about the last 10 years (working on one now, that's a 2 year gig). You're not going to make a lot of money at it. I used to work up to 4 a day (did this around other things I was going to be out doing), you have to do different things for different company's. I worked for myself as contract work, so you will get 1099'ed. Some company's will 1099 you from dollar 1 others only after a few jobs. The big thing is to keep track of your mileage and time for each job, this is also how you can make it pay. Because if you are going to be out in one part of town, that's when you want to work shopping jobs in the same area. You can PM me for more info if you want.

I don't know if it is the same thing but my brother was a secret shopper at the Macy's in New York. He walked around and made believe he was a shopper and looked out for shoplifters. He enjoyed the job while he was in college and it helped him pay his college bills.
    Carmen E.

I worked for a company in the late 70s that kept track of liquor supplies for some of the most popular bars out in So CA. We sent out people to check to make sure the right amount of liquor was being poured and that the employees were doing their job correctly.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

dd
    I know when I worked for a bank in the 80's we would frequently be shopped. But that was all done internally. Just wasn't sure if this stuff was legit. Guess maybe I will try it and see how it goes.

I know some are legit but lately some have come out that are not. If you have to put any money up front you should be on your guard.

dd
    It said you don't have to pay for anything just like a regular job. Just wondered why I had to have a Visa card.

"It says no money up front." This would be a BIG red flag for me.

My husband & I did a restaurant chain. Our bill was paid for.

Blog Entries
    I have been doing this off and on for about 15 years or so.......yes, it is legitimate........I learned how from a frind who did it in MA years ago......DO NOT pay any site on line to give you information...........all you have to do is a google search of "mystery shoppers" or m.shopping...........and you find a bunch of web sites..........I have worked with probably 2-3 dozen different companies...........I will tell you, you don't get rich doing this..........it helped me make ends meet, before I got SocSec..........the biggest problem you will find is that if you don't do it EXACTLY as directed, you wont be paid for the shop.........and there is always detailed report form to complete for every shop you do....you have to be well organized, follow directions to the letter, and keep good records....I don't think its a really easy way to work, but it will put a few extra dollars in your pocket....IF you do everything they tell you to do, and meet the deadlines, etc.....if its a very involved "shop" you have to learn to take notes (and not be seen......) I can tell you more if you want to know...just pm me.................
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .