Serger question...

Old 05-14-2018, 04:56 PM

Default Serger question...

My future neighbor in Idaho has offered to give me a brand new BabyLock serger she bought for her daughter who never used it....and....doesn't like to sew. Of course, I will offer to pay for it but I am clueless about sergers. My sister had one and used it for garment making but I don't make garments. My neighbor uses a serger to piece quilt tops but that is too much bulk to me, in my opinion. I may be wrong...

I'm curious to know what use a serger is to a quilt maker. What do you use your serger for?

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:58 PM

I have an vintage serger, that has at least a million miles on it, but since I started quilting, it's been in retirement.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:44 PM

I have a vintage one also. I do make clothing occasionally. The only thing I have used it for when quilting is to finish the raw fabric edges before washing. It isn't something that I used a lot but it sure comes in handy when I need finished edges.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:59 PM

I'm the same as pennycandy. I use mine for finishing edges before washing and for garment sewing hemming pants, things like that. I don't use it for quilting. I think it would be too bulky for me, too. I have a Bernina Serger I bought about 20 years ago. Its really all I need.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:38 PM

Do you know which model? Does it have the chain stitch function? Are there any additional feet for the machine? They are easy to thread. There are many different settings and stitches depending on your project.

You can do a narrow overlock and serge fabrics before washing so they don’t fray. You can do pin tucks, add lace, zippers, and make belt loops or straps. Check the BL site for project videos and How-to information.

Be sure to download a copy of the manual if available.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

Sergers are not for piecing. Their "seams" are not sturdy or meant to take any kind of stress. So I can't see any use they have in quilting. I use mine when I sew clothing and sometimes bags.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:29 AM

I bought a serger when I used to do machine knitting. I had the idea of knitting a continuous length of fabric then use a sewing pattern, cut out the pieces then use the serger to construct the garment. It wasn’t a success but I think that was down to my inexperience.

I did find it useful when I wanted to alter some shop-bought clothing items when I managed to shed some weight.

Don't think I would like to use it when quilting though.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:48 AM

When I first started using a serger, it was for making clothes. I no longer make clothes except for alterations. Anyway, a serger is great for piecing quilt backings, finishing off the quilt edges before putting on the binding, flatlocking pieces of low loft or mid loft batting together and so on.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:46 AM
DJ

I don't use my serger for quilting.

Just a thought if you do take the machine and she won't accept payment, you could make a charitable donation in her honor.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:16 AM
mac

I think that they would be fun for making any craftsy type items like aprons. Oh, and you can make those Christmas Tree napkins and they make wonderful gifts. If she is just giving it away, I would say take it and you may want to use it. If you offer her money for it, I wouldn't offer a lot for something that you may not want to use too often.

I believe that Craftsy has some classes on serging for non-clothing items.