Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing applique with a longarm

Sewing applique with a longarm

I have a project on my mind for a nephew. I want to make him a new duvet cover with an oversize applique like this one:
    http://shwinandshwin.com/2015/01/hip...f-pattern.html
    Since he have a twin bed, I was thinking that using my longarm to sew the pieces would be easier that bunching the large piece of fabric under my sewing machine.
    But, since it`s a duvet cover and not a quilt, there would be no batting and backing; I would put only the cover fabric on the frame and sew over the applique piece.
    Would this work? Anyone have done something like this with a longarm?
    Thanks!
    Annie

No reason why not. Just load the top on with no batting or backing and top stitch it down. Edited to add, If I were to try something like this I think I would glue the applique in place using a washable glue like Elmer's school glue or Roxanne's glue basting before loading.

Blog Entries
    Recently I have seen you tube videos on several different techniques you can do with your long arm, such as attaching binding and sew & flip piecing. There's no reason why you can't applique. I like the Elmer's glue idea, or sticky backed fusible... anything where you don't use pins.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Not familiar with a LA, but thanks for posting this quilt picture. I do charity quilts and I think some little girl out there would adore this quilt.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Not familiar with a LA, but thanks for posting this quilt picture. I do charity quilts and I think some little girl out there would adore this quilt.
    I didn't do it myself, but it seems quite easy. It`s a great idea for a charity quilt, any kid would love it (even a little boy if you do it in more "masculine" colors)

Just watched a QNNTV video yesterday where the gal was doing thread/yarn couching on her long arm. Apparently I could have listened closer or she didn't say about what was already loaded. But my takeaway was that you anchor then with a gentle wiggle fasten everything down. She was also doing some under netting work and she was fastening the netting down with the long arm. So it sounds very doable. The glue suggestion sounds spot on to me. I wonder if a large piece of wash-away stabilizer on the back might not help keep everything flat while you work? Good luck with your experiment and let us know how it turns out.

I have done many large applique quilts that way. Use either iron on or elmer's school glue, just load the top, and stitch it down. Or layer with batting & back and outline the applique as part of the quilting. They turn out really cute.
    Brenda

I have a friend who has appliqued on her longarm, and there was a class by Gina Perkes in doing that at the InnovaTour in Las Vegas. I would do a little practice piece before tackling the duvet cover, just to get the technique worked out. I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.

Blog Entries
    why not use a fusible to keep everything down, load it all like a quilt and get the applique sewn down while quilting.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    The only issue i have is I prefer to use a blind hem stitch on my applique and then echo quilt.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Mary Kay ,I don't know why you couldn't do the blind hem stitch or a small zig zag with the long arm and then echo quilt
    Mama Lyn - Overland Park, KS