Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing clothes

Sewing clothes

How many of us learned to sew by sewing clothes? I know I did, made clothes starting as a little girl and only started quilting about 15 years ago. So, I haven't been making clothes since my obsession with quilting. I decided I would make Christmas outfits for my great-niece and nephew. UGH!!! I made a vest and tie for him and am making a dress for my niece. The vest and tie were a breeze. (he is 9, she is 6) I decided to redesign the skirt. UH OH! It would have been easier to make a complicated king size quilt! My neice (their mom) gave me their measurements as they are not local but we will be together for the holidays. This dress will fit her for the next year I believe! I will post pics after I finish the dress. I only have the zipper to install. That should take me the rest of the day! :/

Banned
    I started making my own clothes in 1958, then started designing my own in the early 70's, which is also when I first started making quilts. Don't make clothes often any more, but I keep quilting on.

i used to sew myself a lot of clothes when I was younger (and much skinnier!). When my daughter was growing up, I sewed a lot for her too. When she got married, I made the 3 bridesmaids' dresses. The dresses were a fairly simple style because none of the 3 lived here. The dresses were fitted when they arrived a couple days before the wedding. That was 20 years ago and I haven't sewn clothes since then.
    Lori

I sewed all my clothes into my 20's, but when patterns started costing more than readymades I gave up.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I envied my cousin who sewed most of her clothes with the exception of her undergarments. She made her wedding dress and her bridesmaids (3) dresses also. She was all about saving money and made many of her kids clothes.

Blog Entries
    *** I have been sewing since 10 and had my own machine (Aunt's hand-me-down)
    *** since I was 12, but love quilting best.
    *** Home Economics was a must in Junior and High School and I knew more than they did in the class.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I also started out by making doll clothes and then my own. I loved being able to make it my color and my way. I too got into crafts and quilting in the early 80's and got away from it, until my niece was born. All that changed. I have made tons of clothing for her though the years. She is eleven now. I recently bought patterns to make myself a few things too. So isn't it funny how it comes full circle after a while.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I don't sew clothing any more (well maybe some for the little grands) but I started at age 9 and I made about 90% of what I wore. Sometime in the late 80s I started home dec sewing and got away from clothing - ready made became the better value.
    But I made swimsuits to prom dresses, coats to wedding gowns and everything in between!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I too learned to sew clothing first. I sewed many of my own and my DD's. Never got to the level of wedding dresses or swimsuits but was quite comfortable putting together different portions of patterns, to achieve the look I wanted. I have not sewn many clothes lately, and really, do not plan to either. But quilting--oh my --it has become a passion.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Sewed many of my own clothes when I was growing up - and for years couldn't imagine sewing anything else. Started quilting 5 years ago and got hooked on that. But, to keep things interesting, and for some "instant gratification" have been making garments again and having a lot of fun with that. So, quilted yesterday and cutting out pants for my young nieces this afternoon. Like this board, there is one that is primarily garment sewing, so I check both every day.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I also started sewing clothes--basic A-line skirts, robes, etc. And then some doll clothes (that little stuff has always given me issues!) Sewed most of my clothes in 20's--but then pattern prices shot up and it was cheaper for me to buy clothes. I did lots of stuff for both kids and even pants and shirts for DH. Then when kids in middle and HS I was going to sports after work. Then I found QUILTING! no zippers, button holes, armholes, darts--and you get to be much more creative! When I do any clothes nnnow I kick myself and think "why am I doing this??"

Started sewing clothes when I was 9 or 10, made my first quilt in my early teens-13 or 14 maybe? I do mostly quilts now with the occasional smocked dress for GDs. I really don't enjoy clothing sewing so much now. I think it is laying out the pattern, pinning and cutting that seems to be such a drag. I guess I'm spoiled with rotary cutters and mats. When I started quilting we made templates from cardboard-usually cereal boxes. Today's methods make it much more enjoyable IMO

Like everyone else has posted, I started sewing at about age 12. I learned through 4H clubs. My mother could sew but didn't teach me and when I got older and more experienced, I had to do all the household mending and her sewing too.
    I sewed a lot during my teens and early adulthood. Sewed for the kids, DH and the house.... even sewed my uniforms for work at one point.
    Then I got away from the sewing machine for several years, busy with life I guess.
    Got back to the sewing machine when I decided to take a "Learn to Quilt" series of classes, (THANK YOU KDOUBLEA)
    Since then, almost every stitch on my machine has been for quilting. Very little garment sewing although I have a length of batik and pattern I bought at Quilt Canada to make a top for myself.....(that was in June for those of you unfamiliar with when it's held!)
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Blog Entries
    ha,ha. someone recently asked me if I could alter clothing. I told them i hadn't made clothing in 20 years and would hate to even try.

Started sewing when daughter was born. Couldn't find what I wanted, did find a pattern, and decided that all designers in stores could get lost. She danced and skated, and I don't know how many outfits I did between competitions, shows and precision lines.

I still sew. What I can't find, I'll make. Other half wants a certain shirt that's out of fashion - OK, I'll make it. I do my own version of designer nightgowns for the kid. Same pattern and no 2 have been alike in over 20 years.

I used to make my own designer fabric by embroidering rows of a stitch on the sewing machine. This was before stabilizer and you used adding machine tape. I've still got the jacket that I made most of the fabric for.
    I've quilted designs with an embroidery machine and made sweatshirts. I used a quilting stencil and outlined the sleeves. Quilters have asked how I did it. (used the bean stitch on a Pfaff). I still have that sweatshirt.

I'm currently making "Grammy Jammies" for our grandkids for Christmas. I missed making them last year due to health issues. They usually love their jammies.
    Also just finished pj pants for DH. Guess what? His pjs match the grandsons!
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    ha,ha. someone recently asked me if I could alter clothing. I told them i hadn't made clothing in 20 years and would hate to even try.
    A friend of mine told me that asking a quilter to alter clothes is like asking Picasso to paint your garage door!!

I started out sewing clothes and made most of my clothes for years. I even used to make suits back in the day when we wore suits to the office. I even had one friend ask me one day "do you buy clothes?" lol

I still make regular clothes and, of course, my wearable art stuff. In fact, I have a top laid out on the cutting table now to make. I haven't done a regular top for years but I saw this pattern at quilt festival and wanted to make it so I am.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I sewed a lot of clothes too. I don't find it as much fun now. Store stuff is less expensive for my little's but I do a bit of mending. Hubby likes to split the seams of his work pants LOL

Blog Entries
    i started sewing on a machine at 7, and making all my own cloths at 12. i picked up quilting as a hobby at about 17-18, started way before that, but not all gung ho. so i've been quilting for about 40 yrs now. wow, where did the time go???
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Mom and Grandma sewed all their own dresses so it was natural for me to sew. I had a couple of great Home Ec teachers and one taught us basic tailoring with wool. I remember Dad saying As I entered high school I could have all the clothes I wanted if I made them myself.

As I grew up and entered the working world, I sewed most of my own dresses, tailored jackets and skirts. I sewed some school clothes for our daughter and matching pajamas every year for 3 grandsons. Also sewed dresses for oldest granddaughter, but younger one hated dresses so my garment sewing came to an end. Today I enjoy changing details on purchased clothes for myself, like replacing cheap gold tone buttons with better ones.

Its a shame basic sewing isn't taught in school anymore. Everyone needs to know how to shorten a pair of pants or kitchen curtains.

Quote Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
    *** I have been sewing since 10 and had my own machine (Aunt's hand-me-down)
    *** since I was 12, but love quilting best.
    *** Home Economics was a must in Junior and High School and I knew more than they did in the class.
    i, too, started young. at five i was sent to live with my grandmother. she started me sewing acraps on her treadle & by hand. as a teen i was back home, cooking & cleaning for our family of seven. started home ec ..after one day of learning how to cook by broiling bananas, how to sew by making an apron ..i petitioned the school board & never had to waste another day in a home ec class! i made my own clothes for years, got married, had a son & continued to sew his & my clothes ...even after i learned to quilt. but now the only clothes i sew are doll clothes for American Girl dolls.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I still sew my own clothes, I love the Lotte Jansdotter books with the patterns, sew for my grandaughter and am going to start making dolls clothes for 18in dolls for her.

I quit sewing clothes when I got married and moved to San Diego in 1973. My Singer sewing machine spent more time in the shop than working, I didn't have the money to buy a new machine so quit sewing. When I started quilting in the late 70's early 80's it was by hand, and I just tied my quilts. I finally bought an older Singer that worked from a friend, and brought my Great-Great Aunt May's treadle from Kansas and started sewing by machine again in 1990. Since the cost of fabric and patterns were getting more expensive I didn't really miss it. But what got me quilting was embroidering blocks with Nursery Rhymes for friends having babies. Then one day I went to the fabric department in Woolworth's - they had a box with 4 inch squares, already cut - I thought I found the mother lode. There were so many squares my first quilt would fit a king size bed and I still had a bunch left over. But as you can imagine the fabric was not that great and even though the quilt still exists - it has a lot of repair patches.

I would like how to make clothes but it seems I never get to it as I am always quilting. LOL
    Anna Quilts

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast