Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing a hood for storm coat

Sewing a hood for storm coat

I have a woman's storm coat that's lost it's hood which buttoned on. We're scheduled to take a big trip and I am wondering if you have any ideas where I can get instructions or a pattern to make a replacemet. The coat is black and I can make the hood from a black plaid or print just to get me by.

Blog Entries
    How about tracing a pattern from a hoodie? Calla

Not sure about this, but could you use the pattern from a cloak hood? Think Halloween costume. It's pretty much a semi-circle folded in half and cut on the fold.

Blog Entries
    you should come borrow my hood from my coat. Does anyone near you have one you could take a good look at?

This hoodie scarf combination may be something you could consider. I haven't tried to make one, but I did download the pattern. http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/elproje...oductid=pr1644
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Find a hood on someone's coat and copy it. You may find it takes way more fabric than you anticipated. It's a long way from the top of your head to your coat collar if you go by way of your ears. You don't want it too short.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Terrific ! thanks to all for the help. I forgot I had a hoodie in the back of the closet so I will use that to make one from scrap and adjust it from there before I buy fabric. Now I won't be packing an umbrella !

Blog Entries
    I just knitted one from a free pattern at Michaels. it's a rectangle and has a scrunched part around the neck like a scarf. I knit slowly and did it in less than 2 evenings. done on big knitting needles. anyone want to make one, pm me for directions.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    oh forgot, its done with chunky yarn, 2 skeins. just a long rectangle and sewed across the top and 8" of the neck area. super easy and fun.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.