Sewing Leather

Old 01-02-2024, 04:27 AM

Default Sewing Leather

Hi all,
Does anyone have experience sewing leather? I will be making a teddy bear from a mink stole for my favorite aunt. She has one from her husband's mother (or grandmother, I don't remember which). He passed away this past May, so I told her I would make one for her.
I am specifically looking for what machine needle to use. It has been a long time since I have sewn leather. I will be using my Singer 201 for the sewing. I think I used heavy duty needles in the past, but it has been about 15 years (or more) since I have made any bears. Any suggestions? I've haven't received the stole yet, since I am in SC and my aunt is in CT and she needs to mail it to me. Just trying to get my ducks in a row.

Thank you,
Shari
Old 01-02-2024, 06:05 AM

There are leather needles out there but don't know if those would work on your Singer. I have a Viking so I have used them in the past when I'm working on vinyl fabrics. Otherwise I'd think possibly a 90/14, again don't know if this works on your Singer though. Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:07 AM

They make specifically for sewing leather...it's a larger needle, mine are 18, with a knife-point. Here's a link that will hopefully show up:
https://www.schmetzneedles.com/colle...achine-needles
Old 01-02-2024, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
There are leather needles out there but don't know if those would work on your Singer. I have a Viking so I have used them in the past when I'm working on vinyl fabrics. Otherwise I'd think possibly a 90/14, again don't know if this works on your Singer though. Sorry I can't be more help.
Thank you for the suggestion. Luckily, my Singer can use universal needles so that shouldn't be an issue. I do have a lot of the 90/14's on hand and that was what I probably used in the past.

Shari
Old 01-02-2024, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sewgood View Post
They make specifically for sewing leather...it's a larger needle, mine are 18, with a knife-point. Here's a link that will hopefully show up:
https://www.schmetzneedles.com/colle...achine-needles
Thank you for the link. The link worked perfectly and I know the Schmetz will work with my machine. I was hoping to find them locally, so I will just need to keep looking.

Shari
Old 01-07-2024, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by sschick View Post
Thank you for the link. The link worked perfectly and I know the Schmetz will work with my machine. I was hoping to find them locally, so I will just need to keep looking.

Shari
I actually had some Singer leather needles on hand. Forgot all about them. I bought them years ago when I was still sewing the teddy bears.