Sewing Machine

Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 AM

I have a Viking and love it :)
Old 10-02-2011, 01:50 PM

If you buy Viking try to find one that was made in Sweden. You'll have to ask the dealer where it was made and trust me he knows! Some were sent to China and some weren't. Don't let them give you the state of the art manufacturing in China! Bull****!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 PM

It goes......I tried out about 6 or 7 different babylocks....and of course the one I loved was like $2000, (apparently I have expensive taste!) but I am planning on hitting up another quilt store in town (that I've never been too!!) and trying out theirs as well....they have all kinds of different brands.....I will def keep you posted!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 PM

I just bought the Bernina 550 replacing the 400 series, it was a long decision process, many trips to the LQS and learning the difference between all the different features, I love the fact that this one has a hands free capability. There was also a big sale on the week I bought it and that factored into my decision as well. I've been working with the Bernina's in our classes and love them.

I agree with the others take your time and look around and test drive the machine, The one I have can do regular sewing, quilting, it has every foot pedal I can think of and it has the BSR on it as well. The only thing mine won't do is embroidery. It comes with 20yrs warranty on the parts and 5 yrs on the software.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Banned

Honestly I would go vintage just because but that is just me. Remember all of this comes from a guy that uses treadle powered machines exclusively and does all of his FMQ with a Japanese 15 in the treadle. For the amount a new machine will cost, you can buy several vintage machines that will fit your needs and will work beautifully.

But if I were going for a new machine I have heard a lot of really nice things about the Bernina but they are pricey. Just to put things in perspective The sewing machine has pretty much remained the same price through the years 1/3 of the annual household income. So $2000 for a machine is not bad at all when the average is $6000+.

If you think you might would like to get a vintage machine until you find the new one that is the perfect fit I can help steer you the right direction and then you will always have a nice back up machine when the new one goes in for its annual check up. Plus you can work on the vintage one yourself. ;)

Billy
Old 10-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Look too at the trade in's. Lots of ladies have to have the newest and the best and turn in very good machines only a few years old on them. Then you can get a very good two year old for not much money.

Stitch listen to "lost" above. He is brilliant and refirbs old machines. His quilts and machines are AMAZING!!!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kwhite
Stitch listen to "lost" above. He is brilliant and refirbs old machines. His quilts and machines are AMAZING!!!!!
I dont know about that anymore I am kinda out of practice and I am really wanting to get back into with both feet again! Soon I will be but for now I make a good consultant!

Oh and I love your avatar makes me want to play with one of my machines.... ;)

Billy
Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 PM

I will have to keep on the lookout for a trade in Fez!! I have actually been scouring the papers every weekend for vintage machines, I haven't really found much in my area, but I would love to have one! The last one I found was someone selling a "vintage" machine at a garage sale, well they def meant mid-80's vintage and it was a piece of crap. I was disappointed. I went to another sewing machine dealer this week and played on a bunch of Janome and Vikings, and some Singers. The Janomes were def my favorite out of the bunch and the dealer was a really nice guy and they do all repairs in house, they were just really user friendly and I am kind of technologically ignorant so I don't like it if it has too many bells and whistles, there were 3 different models that I was in love with, each more expensive than the last of course....better start saving my pennies!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Sweetie you may not be 100% yet but you are still amazing!!! I know it will not be long before you are back to 100% and better than ever. Stitch hang in there. you will find it.

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by kwhite
I dont know about that anymore I am kinda out of practice and I am really wanting to get back into with both feet again! Soon I will be but for now I make a good consultant!

Oh and I love your avatar makes me want to play with one of my machines.... ;)

Billy
Old 10-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

go green - go vintage!