Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet >

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Old 04-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't want to "lay" anything over my carpet...it isn't all that much of a problem to have it in the sewing room. Being careful with pins and brushing up threads prior to vacuuming is much better than dealing with something that moves around every time I take a step or getting out of place and shifting, etc. Just take a little bit of care, then when you have the funds later you can replace it with linoleum of hard wood. Congrats on the new house!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Congrats on the new house!
Haven't got it yet, so far we've just put a bid in. I'm hoping though.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:41 AM

I have carpeting in the room I use just bought those plastic things that go under your computer chairs and that keep the threads easy to pick up.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:42 AM

I have carpet in my sewing room...haven't lost any pins...whenever I have dropped a needle or pin, I immediately pick it up...My sewing room is in the basement...wouldn't want hard floor...carpet keeps the room warmer..!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:53 AM

I put down carpeting in the center of my room, because of back problems. It helps a lot. I can use the new toilet brush and clean the carpet, towards it`s edges and then sweep it up!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:17 AM

I've always had carpet in my sewing area. I use glass head pins which helps. If I drop them, it's almost always under my sewing table. We recently re-carpeted with a lower nap carpet so I no longer need the mat under my chair. It probably helps that I'm not a going barefoot person. A year or two ago we replaced our living room carpet with wood and although I love the appearance, it's takes more time and work to keep it looking nice than the carpet did.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:19 AM

We have carpet in the room I sew in. We tried office pads and I was always rolling off of it. The other problem is that the carpet begins to get waves in it from the rollers on the office chair I sew in. Yes, I'd love laminate or a pretty vinyl....but not yet.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:22 AM

I've had carpet in every room I've sewn in for 40 years. I keep an extension magnet handy to pick up pins, but it doesn't always work. I wear a pair of slip-on style sandals around the house and just make sure I don't have bare feet in my sewing room. If I do leave a pin DH seems to be the one who finds it! Just count your pins at your design wall, and watch for dropped pins everywhere. Pretty soon it will be second nature and you won't drop many.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
Originally Posted by Jill
I have a carpeted sewing room and I know we won't be changing it to wood or laminate for years. I always wear shoes and vacuum it frequently. I usually take my shoes off when I'm at the sewing machine but put them back on before walking away.
I always wear rubber soled slippers in the house, I have cats and don't like the idea of getting up in the middle of the night and finding I've walked in someones hairball so I am in the habit of having slippers on at all times.

What about linoleum, could I lay a roll of that down??? Would it work. That could be cut to size.
linoleum costs more than the laminate flooring. We just ripped out the carpet in my sewing area and the laminate is so easy to install and easy upkeep. We are removing all the carpet from our house and going to the laminate.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:44 AM

I have carpet in my sewing room and don't have any problems. If I drop a pin I look for it. I have a big magnet that helps find the pins. If you are going to cover it, might as well pull it up.