Sewing Swimsuits

Old 07-22-2011, 05:59 PM

Does anyone have experience sewing swimsuits for women? My dd is a large-busted woman who is desperately trying to find a swimsuit with enough support in the top of the suit. Most suits now have just a nylon panel, edged in elastic for a "bra". This wouldn't support a powder puff!

I was wondering if anyone has ever sewn a regular bra into a swimsuit for support, or sewn a suit from scratch and used some method to make the top more supporting.

Any and all suggestions/info would be appreciated!

Sue
Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
Does anyone have experience sewing swimsuits for women? My dd is a large-busted woman who is desperately trying to find a swimsuit with enough support in the top of the suit. Most suits now have just a nylon panel, edged in elastic for a "bra". This wouldn't support a powder puff!

I was wondering if anyone has ever sewn a regular bra into a swimsuit for support, or sewn a suit from scratch and used some method to make the top more supporting.

Sue
I remember seeing sew in bras at JoAnns in the past, but don't know if they are still selling them.
I would try basting an old one of hers into a suit, just to see if it works....I believe that it stopped at the underarms.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:10 PM

Depending on what type of suit and look she is looking for, a sports bra might work. My friend if VERY chesty. She buys a nice basic color swimsuit with a contrasting colored sport bra under it. The bra shows some but looks like it should be there. Be sure to get the kind that are moisture wicking for runners so it doesn't stay wet all day.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:23 PM

I made a bathing suit for my friend many years ago - she was an F. I sewed a bra "into" the suit. I had the brastraps inside the straps of the suit, the bra made the front (covered with fabric of course) but the bottom/front wasn't sewn in. Nor were the sides or back of the bra. The hardest part was making the back come up far enough to cover the bra. It was a bit of a thing to get into and she needed help clipping the back of the bra once in, but it really fit her perfectly and she finally had a suit. It was a challenge to make, but we did it :)
Old 07-22-2011, 06:52 PM

When my sisters worked at swim suit factory they made me a swimsuit top DD bra they put wires in the top just like regular bra
Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 PM

LANDSEND SELLS SUITS FOR LARGE BUSTED WPMEN.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:06 PM

I wish they made swimsuits to fit "real" people that want to be modest have support in the breast.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris

Sue
I went swimming this week and was wondering the same thing. I'd love more support for my top half. Let us know what you get figured out!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

For those looking to purchase swimsuits with support, I found these:

http://www.cyberswim.com/

http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/prods...dept_id=101288

http://www.alwaysforme.com/bustsupport.html

http://www.athleta.com/products/dd-swimwear.jsp

I just think it would be *so* much easier to purchase a suit with an underwire bra than to try to make one. There are so many pitfalls in making a swimsuit!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 PM

I can tell you to make sure you use a double needle. It makes for a much more professional look and it will automatically zigzag on the back side of the stitching which allows for the stretch to remain. Good luck! And do some google searching---it aint hard to make one!