Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing w/grandkids

Blog Entries

Sewing w/grandkids

I had 3 of my grandkids for a morning and my DIL mentioned beforehand that she thought they might like to know how a sewing machine worked. So the night before I put together 3 pillowcases and just left the side and top seams free. After a little introduction, they made french seams, ironed and finished the cases. They were thrilled to try something new. My son does a lot of traveling for the Wounder Warrior Regiment of the Marine Corp and since I won"t be watching another grandchild this coming school year because she is going into Kindergarten, I have offered to stay with these 3 if my DIL can travel overnite with her husband. I promised another sewing project: envelope coverings for throw pillows for their bedroom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice.....such a good way to spend time with the grandkids..... Looks like they really enjoyed it... :-)

That's wonderful... nice to see kids doing something with their hands other than phones n tablets n stuff
    If I had ambition, I would be dangerous. Alas, I am harmless (and annoying) as a cricket.

Making memories that is what it is all about!!!!

Power Poster
    oh how nice hope they had fun!!
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    Perfect. Sew, who had more fun... the grandkids or Grandma watching them enjoy sewing?

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    What a lucky Grams you are. I also try to tell mine stories of my childhood during our together times. They see me in a different light - like you were a kid once? LOL
    I'm too blest to be stressed. Amen to that!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
    Making memories that is what it is all about!!!!
    Ditto. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

This is great! I hope to be able to share these types of things with my grandson as he grows up.

Cute bunch you have there! Thank you for some great ideas!

Great looking grandkids and how nice to spend time sewing with them.

Blog Entries
    You're one smart grandma to get them doing something that can be a life long skill. Nice!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

So much fun. I've done that too. Mine live too far away for anything on a regular basis. It's wonderful, though.
    Alyce

My grandson is two. I bought one of the mini machines with push button on/off. I took the needle out and he sews a strip of fabric over and over. He knows to put the foot down before sewing and a raise it up when done. He 'does his work' while I sew.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Love to do projects with my grands. Pillowcases are a great idea. I will be doing this next summer when they each spend a week at Camp Gramma. Maybe they can pick out their own fabrics. Thanks for the idea. Love the picture...beautiful kids.

That is wonderful. Most of my memories with my Grandmother was sewing. She didn't quilt, never knew why but her half sister taught me to quilt.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

What great fun it is sewing with G-kids. One of my G-sons would come over every year & make Christmas gifts with me. He always knew what he wanted to make for his family every year. I was so sad when his interest changed to girls instead of sewing with G-Ma. Although he did make a few things for his first girlfriend. Christmas gifts would be a great project for you & your G-kids. They could make pillow cases, pot holders, place mats, microwave bowls just to mention a few items.

Looks like everyone is having a good time.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

I know Grandmas that just take theirs "shopping". A little of that is alright, but I think Grandmas are put on earth to teach grandkids these things, don't you think?