Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Shall I buy a new Bernina or keep fixing this one? >

Shall I buy a new Bernina or keep fixing this one?

Shall I buy a new Bernina or keep fixing this one?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 AM

My Dad bought me the Bernina 200E and it now has 23Million stitches and 900 hours of use. I just put a new module on it at the plug (no power to it), the repair person said that the bobbin winder is filling the bobbins too full and needs replaced ( I can just not fill them so much), and the motor is needing to be replaced soon. I just purchased the tucker/pleater attachment and the eyelet attachment for it and haven't had them out of the box yet. If getting the big 830E I will need all new attachments etc. I am sentimental about the machine since my Dad got it for me a few years before he died. So what to do????? Does Bernina have a machine that will use the 200 attachments ? My baby is just like me---getting older and older. THanks for input. Sue
Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

get it mended ,you are so used to it ,they are the Rolls Royce and a new one will not last as long.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 AM

I have to say, I changed brands, I went Viking Mega Quilter for just piecing and kept my Bernina for the fancy stuff.
the Mega Viking is not computerized, and I'm liking that.
I had my computer go out on my Bernina, and it cost me $$$.

Not sure what happened to it, but it went funny one day, switching stitches as I would sew.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM

I have the Bernina 730E and it uses the same attachments as the 200 (except the bobbins).
Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM

Keep the oldie but goodie. They don't make them like they use to. A couple more replacements and you will have new machine and all attachments that go with it.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM

fix it
Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM

I recieved my dear sister's bernina 930 years after she passed from another sister and had it rehaulded 2x's . Husband bought me a new bernina 430 and not one of the many many many feet , attachments etc worked for the new one !!! ugh ! could not believe it. I would think the inner piece that the feet and attachments go on could have been kept the same ?! But, then I would not have had to buy new ones !! silly me. But I do love my bernina ! so.....also have an old serger bernina, and a brother. I'm set ! And sooooo Blessed.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM

FIX...but , I think that the bobbin over filling is just an adjustment by the mecanic.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM

Hi Sue,

I would keep it and keep fixing it as long as possible. It has sentimental value to you. The newer machine are not being made with the same quality and are not lasting as long in some cases as the older machines for various different reasons. I still have the machine my parents bought me when I was eight. I will never get rid of it. I also have my mom's machine that she used all her life that I'll never part with.

I also have to ask in general, not to you, what's up with Bernina anyway? Why do they design their machines so that the feet will not transfer from one machine to another? This has been one of the reasons why I've not purchased a Bernina to date.

I bought a foot adaptor that attaches to any type of shank. With this adaptor I am able to purchase any foot that will snap into the snapper end (not the right terminology). I just love this feature, as I can use any brand's feet that will fit the adaptor, as well as it changes to a different shank if I change machines.

Why wouldn't this type of adaptor be able to be used with the Bernina machines?

Pam M
Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 AM

Just bought the new Bernina 820 (Retirement gift to myself!) I can't believe how great it stitches. If you do trade it in, I would make sure it was another Bernina. My manual says that most of the feet do interchange? (Maybe I read that wrong?? Check with a dealer..