Shampoo for Greying Hair

Old 05-18-2018, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I seem to remember that there was a shampoo that was formulated for grey or greying hair to make the grey softer and more vibrant. I am "quickly" going grey (I still think of myself as having light brown hair, but the motor vehicle department tells me I am grey! LOL), but my hair looks "mousey". I am looking for a shampoo that would make my hair almost look frosted - the greys more vibrant. I am not explaining this well, at all. Hope someone can figure out what I am trying to say! Thanks for your help.
Wal-Mart has a store brand of the Clairol Professional Shimmer for about half the price. I've been using it for years and it hasn't tinted my hair blue or purple
Old 05-18-2018, 06:31 AM

I have used several different shampoos which are purple (contain blueing or gential violet) and while they are good for not turning my hair brassy they are very drying. I have also learned not to use anything that has a yellow color to it for my gray/white hair. My hair salon wanted to sell me a $18 bottle of shampoo but couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't dry out my hair. I alternate Head and shoulders for itchy scalp and the gentian violet Jhirmak.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:06 AM

Hi, I've been silver for 20 years and would not use anything but Jhirmack shampoo.
I've tried others but nothing worked as well. It's for all shades of Silver, Gray and blond hair.
I get compliments on my hair a lot and I attribute it to Jhirmack shampoo.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:32 PM

The gal at Sally's Beauty Supply told me not to use the purple more than twice a week or it would turn the hair a purple tinge. It's hard for me to leave it on 3-5 minutes in the shower though. So need to start before i get in the shower then can rinse it out. Can't do conditioners; it leaves my hair limp and feels oily even though I rinse and rinse and rinse. I try to use a shampoo that adds 'volume'. I got tired of coloring too.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

My hair has been turning grey for pretty long. I still have some light brown patches that won't turn grey. I just use any shampoo and never have yellow on the grey.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

Do any of you ladies with grey or white hair have your hair long?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:20 AM

I did wear my hair long for some time, but it is very thick, and it grew 'out' as well as 'down', so now I wear it quite short, and I prefer it this way. I know lots of women who have long silver hair, and always feel envious when we meet!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:42 PM

I do. About the time my 2nd child (who's almost 31!) was born, I was needing to get two kids to daycare & get myself down the road about 45 min to work--so starting wearing my hair very short so I could wash and run my fingers through and be done with it. After I retired I just started letting it grow out some with no plan. That was almost 5 yrs ago and now it's mid-back--still straight & thin like when I was in my teens and had "surfer girl" hair. Works very well for me as I teach water wellness for 8 hrs a week and this allows me to get it pinned up and out of the water. My kids, who grew up with me having short, short hair are awed by it!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mamia View Post
Hi, I've been silver for 20 years and would not use anything but Jhirmack shampoo.
I've tried others but nothing worked as well. It's for all shades of Silver, Gray and blond hair.
I get compliments on my hair a lot and I attribute it to Jhirmack shampoo.
Do you have any problems with it drying out your hair?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by sewnclog View Post
The gal at Sally's Beauty Supply told me not to use the purple more than twice a week or it would turn the hair a purple tinge. It's hard for me to leave it on 3-5 minutes in the shower though. So need to start before i get in the shower then can rinse it out. Can't do conditioners; it leaves my hair limp and feels oily even though I rinse and rinse and rinse. I try to use a shampoo that adds 'volume'. I got tired of coloring too.
Has anyone ever tried using conditioner then the shampoo?