Shashiko machine?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:21 PM

I just saw a Fons and Porter show and they had a lady who brought her Shashiko machine.
The Shashiko stitch is just a running stitch, right?
I know it uses thicker thread, but is a machine dedicated to Shashiko really needed?
Can't our machines that we have already duplicate it?
(I know it also can be done by hand).
I was kind of interested in finding out more about it until I saw her using a special machine!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:19 PM
MTS
Banned

Interesting. The machine was being demoed about 2 years ago.

Here's the machine:
http://www.babylock.com/quilting/sashiko/

and Nancy Z's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWmEAGdElq4

You can sort of duplicate a sashiko stitch by using a monofiliment thread in the bobbin or in top, along with the thread of your choice. Sort of how you do a fake hand stitch with a domestic machine. Lots of tension (top & bottom) adjustments to make it look right.

From the video, I see that this machine does the same thing, but with a 30wt thread and a different thread route than on a domestic machine - so there is no need for the mono thread. It shows the sashiko stitch on the front, but a continuous stitch on the bottom.

My friend just finished the Susan Briscoe quilt, with over a dozen sashiko blocks. But we both really enjoy the hand stitching.

And, if you're going to use this machine, I'd imagine your FMQ skills need to be pretty developed to be following the motif designs, although it sounds like there might a "stitch regulator" built in.

An interesting concept. And it ain't cheap. I'll keep doing mine by hand.