Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
She doesn't sew but.......... >

She doesn't sew but..........

She doesn't sew but..........

Old 01-13-2011, 06:38 PM

I got my CCW right after the first of the year, but purchased a Sig Mosquito right after Christmas. Also have a Glock. It's too big for my hand, but this new one is a perfect fit!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:38 PM

Very good subject I was a correctional officer in Az and felt it necessary to carry a weapon because of the threats I and my children received from friends and families of prisioners. About 2 years after I quit I was traveling by myself and was actually approached by an ex offinder boy was I glad I had my weapon with me. I also carried one while trucking coast to coast but started carrying a knife instead because my permitt wasn't legal anywhere as I was a trucker. I still own several guns but had to sell the majority after my husband died. Now I find that with having fibro and arthiritis I can no longer shoot any of my guns because my hands are not strong enough so I again gave up carrying but I often feel the need for protection when traveling alone
Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 PM

Great posting! My DH and I keep planning to take the course and get a concealed permit, but have not as yet. Since our german shepherd passed away recently I feel much more vulnerable when I am alone, and am glad to have guns in case I should need one. It isn't a secure world anymore. There are immigrant gangs in small towns in VA now that were peaceful havens until recently. By the time someone else came to protect me and mine, we would be well beyond help.
We live on a farm, and I have had to defend my chickens from predators more often than most people can imagine. I shoot groundhogs and rabbits that would denude my garden in an afternoon if left alone. If not for my 22 and shotgun, all the work and money spent on raising food would be totally wasted and we would be without. My electric fence helps, but venison in the freezer is a better deterrent to deer helping themselves to my corn. I appreciate our right and ability to take care of ourselves.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Wow I'm kind of shocked how many ladies carry guns. I thought you were all sweet, delicate quilting ladies. :-P
Old 01-13-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Annz
Wow I'm kind of shocked how many ladies carry guns. I thought you were all sweet, delicate quilting ladies. :-P
:-)
Old 01-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Had one but it was so hard to "cock" got a small 38 instead
Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM

So glad we can't have guns for everyday in Australia. It would scare the living whatsits out of me. It concerns me enough that the police carry guns.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 PM

We have several guns in our house. They are reguarly stored in the gun safe. My guys are hunters, although hubby doesn't hunt much these days. Actually, I feel safer living in the country than I did in town. A lot of things went on when we lived in town. My kids had rabbitts and one morning they went out to tend them, and someone had skinned one of them alive and left in that way. My children were just sick. Hubby was a trucker and gone most of the time. So, I started keeping a loaded shotgun in my room. One Friday night the kids were watching TV and I had just gone to bed, as I had to work the next day. I heard them on the porch before they ever knocked on the door.
My daughter opened the door before I had a chance to say anything or get in there. Turned out to be a couple of juvenile delinquents. One was white, the other black. The black boy had a habit of going into anyone's house he wanted in town and making demands. She asked them what they wanted, and they said they wanted to come in. She told them no but they came in anyway. She kept telling them they needed to leave, and they said they didn't want to. I was trying to throw on my regular clothes and I heard her tell them that if they kept this up they were going to wake up her mamma. They said they didn't care, I wouldn't do anything. She then told them that if they woke me up, I was gonna be mad and that I would be coming around the corner with a shotgun. At this point I was just about to step into the room, when I heard them say, Oh she won't either! Took 2 steps back, grabbed the gun and entered the room. Mind you, I didn't have it pointed at them at this point, just had to lower it was all. I said, are you having problems with these young men? Yes, mamma I asked them to leave and they won't go. I looked at the boys and said, I believe you've been asked to leave. They said, is that gun loaded? I then asked if they really wanted to stick around long enough to find out. The black boy who was going around with crutches, threw them down on the ground and set sail down the street like a track star. The other didn't tarry either. Evidently he ran straight to the police station to report me, because several months later, one of the police officers told me he sure liked what I had done to ___ ____, and if more people would do that the town wouldn't have a problem with him. We never did anymore, that's for sure. And the kids rabbits weren't messed with either afterward.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:31 PM

nice , my hubby takes me to the range all the time , he is a range instuctor and i go tag along to play with his gun while he is busy !
Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 PM

My mother taught us all to shoot. She was a circus sharpshooter. We all have different thinking on it. My brother works for the feral animal eradication program, and he has many guns. I am still a licensed shooter, but I do not have any guns in the house. I practice about once a month, and I try to get out with my brother when I can. I mainly shoot cats and rabbits. Sorry to the cat lovers, but they are destructive when they are wild. (There you go, I've probably offended the non shooters and the cat lovers!)
My father says he knew he was going to marry my mother when she out shot and out rode him! He was a guest on her parents farm when he was on leave from the Army, and she was 14. They married 7 years later, after WWII.

FREE Quilting Newsletter