Old 06-07-2012, 04:11 PM

What a bright eyed new friend you have htere Congratulations
Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by alfosa421 View Post
What a bright eyed new friend you have htere Congratulations
Isn't she a beauty? The lovely Lyla...
Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
And more importantly the gift they are giving you makes them confident and relaxed I believe.
and yes, SouthP it is funny how the pure Chows can be domineering and bratty but the mixes, like many breeds and other animals like horses are often the best! Thought I saw Chow Chow in her though her card said Shepherd mix! Seems like every unknown breed is a shepherd mix if medium or large and the small are Terrier mixes! Whatever. Here are two old ladies making each other's lives fuller. She's not as big as she appears - about springer Spaniel size.
I thought maybe she had some shepherd in her. Maybe even some Newfoundland or Bernase, too? Not that it matters. She's my favorite kind... a summa... sunna this & summa that... LOL!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Cat Quilter View Post
Congratulations and what a beautiful fur baby! We just rescued a lab mix puppy. If we hadn't taken her (cost $71 to cover spaying and shots) she would have been put down the next morning. She is wonderful and fits in with the other 3 very well. Now, the cat has taken a while to warm up.
I looked to see where you were from because that was Leo's story, too. He was from a high-kill shelter in MO & had 72 hours to get adopted. One of the workers there just knew he was too good a puppy to let that happen so she put out some feelers thru the rescue network & a lady from here in WI heard about him, took off from work, drove to MO & got him merely hours before he was put down. Oh, and how did he end up at the shelter (how come the call them "shelters" when they kill dogs?) in the first place. Either his mom was dumped & he was born in the wild or he was dumped as a newborn puppy. Some people are scum. I'm sorry. But that's how I feel. Anyway, the rescue group got him, got him used to living in a people's world (he wasn't feral but he'd never been inside or anything) & he wormed his not-so-little self into me & my DH's heart.

I'm so glad you have your new baby. Pictures? Pretty please?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 PM

our last dog was also a rescue--she was an untended, untrained maniac of a border collie who never did learn to heel--but who loved us with every ounce of her bouncy being for 16 1/2 years. she would chase a frisbee until she had to crawl back to us with it in her jaws, because she loved the chase almost as much as she loved us. she quickly learned to behave, and be a part of the family. it broke our hearts to say good-by--but now we get our fix from our grandpuppy (all 60 lbs of her!) who is also a rescue. daughter and i drove 75 miles in near blizzard conditions to get her, and she has never forgotten. she thinks she has two homes, and loves everyone in both houses equally. pets are great--and those rescues are the greatest of all. they know. the really know. and they lavish love on those who bring them into their hearts and homes. your lyla looks like a prize. i suspect you'll always be a winner to her!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
Awwww! She's adorable and sure looks happy to be with you. We rescued a little furbaby last October and fell in love with him. Cutest most lovable dog ever!!!
Pictures please! I think there should be a special section here on the board for furbabies!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
So glad you have a "new" pet - and I'm glad you were able to adopt! I had a co-worker who had 2 cats for years, one of them darted out the door as she was leaving one day. She was heartbroken - put up flyers, posted ads, checked the humane society for months. Finally she decided it was time to move on and went to the humane society to adopt another cat. They refused - they said because she lost one cat, she was an unfit pet-parent. Good grief.
That is ridiculous! I mean, yes, I think they should have high standards & not just let anybody have a pet (I think that's one reason they charge you -- that & just covering the basic costs of care). Surely there are other rescues nearby?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I thought maybe she had some shepherd in her. Maybe even some Newfoundland or Bernase, too? Not that it matters. She's my favorite kind... a summa... sunna this & summa that... LOL!
my kids always called the "summas" their "bulgarian weaselhounds", and many folks wanted to know all about that breed, in all seriousness. so, when we don't know what that pooch is, it is automatically bulgarian weaselhound...
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM

That's very cute! I don't see any Shepherd in her at all. Like I said before, in the shelters any medium or large "summa" is a Shepherd. I do see some Chow. Don't know where the black and tan are from. Her tongue has a very slight blue tinge and her coat is very thick - we're working on that now. She's about the size of ...hmmm... c'mon brain ....Springer Spaniel. For a dog that supposedly doesn't like to be fussed over, she sure can hide it well!

Thanks everyone for adding to my joy!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]340516[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]340517[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails wateronmynose.jpg   ohneat-smells.jpg  
Old 06-07-2012, 06:15 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

What a adorable looking little girl ! Congratulations !! May you both have a great time together !