Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Shipping to Canada

Shipping to Canada

I wrote down all the online shops suggested in a previous post. But I was wondering about the shipping, taxes, duty to Canada. Any Canadian quilters out there with suggestions, opinions? I am looking for cafe/coffee type fabric for curtains.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried Hamels fabric, sew sisters, mad about patchwork these are canadian sites. US sites like fabric.com, Fabric depot, When I go to the sites I always check shipping first.

Quote Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
    Have you tried Hamels fabric, sew sisters, mad about patchwork these are canadian sites. US sites like fabric.com, Fabric depot, When I go to the sites I always check shipping first.
    Just returned from BC. My brother lives close enough to Hamels that I can walk to the store. They didn't have the fabric I was looking for but love the shop, shop there every time I go to Chilliwack.

Have had many successful shipments from the US. The 'gotcha' is usually brokerage/customs fees. Shipping USPS is often the most efficient - shipping UPS or other couriers often results in huge extra fees. So if the vendor offers a choice, I opt for USPS.
    Linda
    http://quiltingbiker.blogspot.com

Connecting Threads charges only $7.99 if your order is over $50 and you place the order online.

Blog Entries
    Avoid UPS, they charge a huge brokerage fee that is often more than the value of the item and more than the shipping.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I've only twice ordered from the US. fabric.com was quick..the shipping charge was $16+ but it was the only place I could find it, so was willing to pay for it, and the fabric cost was reasonable. There was no additional duty charges, but I think I had ordered 4 yards of fleece, so if you had a huge order it might get into custom charges.

Blog Entries
    I use Connecting Threads often and as Bilben says it is under $8 if over $50. I have a TD US charge card mainly for that purpose!

I have yet to be caught with customs and brokerage charges with Fabric.com, but you can for sure be caught with those with other companies shipping via UPS.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work will not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau

I have heard that if the order is under $20 they don't charge customs...HOWEVER...I would ask about that and not trust my hearsay!