Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sidewalks....brick, pavers, or poured concrete??

Sidewalks....brick, pavers, or poured concrete??

In dire need to replace old beat up sidewalks and patio. Your input on longevity of any of these options is most welcomed. What to do....what to do?

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Power Poster
    Are you doing it yourself? I like the look of pavers and with a proper under bed of sand and the new special sand fillers, they stay nice a long time. I am partial to poured cement that is coloured and stamped to look like grey/black stone for it's longevity.

The problem with pavers and bricks is that you can end up with ants making nests under and end up with ant hills.

We have pavers in our patio. They have been there a long time. We have found that power washing is hard on pavers they do not stand up like concrete. I love the look of pavers and they will last as long as we need them but concrete would last longer.

We have pavers for our back porch/steps and patio. It's been about 13 years since they were installed. The porch is sinking in and I certainly am not in shape to start ripping it apart and shoring it up. They apparently didn't put any underlayment under the patio because every year I have to go out and use RoundUp for all the weeds growing up inbetween the pavers. I wish we had chosen stamped concrete for the easier maintenance.
    Lori

About 16-17 years ago we put big patio stones on top of our concrete patios. Tried the sand, didn't work had to put concrete between them. They are fake stones, put together like a puzzle. They have held up really well.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Stamped concrete can be done in many patterns to look like pavers or tiles. Might be a nice alternative.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Brick and pavers can make it more difficult to shovel snow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    Brick and pavers can make it more difficult to shovel snow.
    I wanted bricks and dh said the same thing. I'm not sure yet what we'll do since I doubt he wants to pour it. Probably just get the biggest flat pavers we can find and try to keep them as level as possible.

Another thing to think about is whether you have trees with large roots near. They will displace the bricks or pavers. The cement may crack, but if done correctly, will take much longer to do so.
    Good luck with your decision.

Susan
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

A friend of ours has a stamped/colored concrete walk and I must say, I'm not a fan. Maybe it's just their color choice but it also has a very slick surface. Can't imagine what that must be like to walk on when it's wet. I'd be on my butt repeatedly there. Just a thought. Also, I think a good base is a good base regardless of 'top dressing'. Our poured sidewalk from driveway to porch is in need of repair now as well. Slabs need to be lifted and leveled as well. Hopefully our contractor friend will be able to get this done for us in the near future as I've already taken one header into the garden tripping on the uneven slabs!

How about concrete dressed up with some rows of bricks? Makes sure the bricks have some kind of footing under them so they don't shift so much. As I get older I think of uneven edges, ants, uneven shifting, but snow clearing wouldn't occur to me since it doesn't snow here!

My first thought was concrete. Easier for anyone in a wheelchair. As I get older, I am always thinking of getting older LOL!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ziegamomma View Post
    How about concrete dressed up with some rows of bricks? Makes sure the bricks have some kind of footing under them so they don't shift so much. As I get older I think of uneven edges, ants, uneven shifting, but snow clearing wouldn't occur to me since it doesn't snow here!
    You're lucky it doesn't snow, but from what I heard TX had a lot of ice. Ice is worse than snow. BTW I haven't put my snow shovel away yet. I'm afraid the snow fairy will decide to visit us again!

I think the concrete probably makes sense from a $$ standpoint. We will contract this out...probably in 2015. I will ask the contractor bid a couple of options. I, too, alway think safety and practicality. Love the idea of a brick trim on the sides. What to do what to do!

We also need to replace the stoop up to the door. About 4 steps...need rails!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

We had our cracked and broken old front porch and walkway replaced 3 years ago with stamped concrete and we are very happy with it. We still get a lot of compliments on it and it is easy to keep clean. We had an unusually cold and icy winter this year and had no problems with it.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As for longevity, the brick streets in our town are over 100 years old. They are considered a historic landmark. apparently, they pretty much don't wear out.

pavers bricks or concrete

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie V View Post
    The problem with pavers and bricks is that you can end up with ants making nests under and end up with ant hills.
    You can now have a concrete patio that has the look of pavers, etc. The concrete contractor can put lines etc. in the concrete.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie V View Post
    I have the pavers -they were here before me- and I hate them. They are riddled with Ant Condo's. And they are no longer a flat surface- a lot of ''trip stones'' now exist. Pavers and bricks are subject to the movement of the ground. They will be replacing the pavers with the poured cement with a dyed stamping. And there are a lot of designs to choose from.And if you don't like any of these you can design your own. But there are quite a few that look like quilts. My favorite design is the Log Cabin.

I have poured concrete and love it. Easy to sweep and maintain with power washing.

If you have moles, like many of us in the mid-west -- you do not want pavers or bricks.
    If you like them, put them in over concrete -- to prevent moles from ruining them and,
    to avoid having to resand them every year after winter storms and summer rains. After the sand is washed away, the water will wash out the bed below the bricks/pavers and you have a nice mess to replace.
    Not fun if anyone wears high heels.

Lastly -- I work at a place that has them -- been in about 8 years. I ripped the left MCL and had to use crutches, then used a cane -- but was told not to try to walk on uneven surfaces. Couldn't work -- Can't see how the organization can call it handicapped accessible.

we put pavers in about 10 years ago and now they are sinking in some spots and yes the grass and weeds that grow between them in the spring is bad i spray round up , i wish now i had done something else and after reading this post you guys have given me some new ideas i need to try before i get any older and cant do it !!