Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: silicone seat pads

Blog Entries

silicone seat pads

does anyone have one of the silicone seat pads they show these days everywhere? some say inflated. are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    does anyone have one of the silicone seat pads they show these days everywhere? some say inflated. are they any good?
    Shows how behind the time I am ... have never heard of these!

Sorry, but all I can think about now are the old whoopee cushions .... eeks!
    I'm sure that is not what you are talking about!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    he, he. no, not those kind. they are all over television too and some quilt stores seem to have them also. in one ad they have people sit on an egg on the pad and it doesn't' break. they don't give enough details so I just wanted to know more.

Haven't seen or heard them here .... north of the 49th!
    So maybe you have them all to yourself, stateside?
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I've seen the ad on TV with them sitting on the egg & it not breaking. I don't have one so can't tell you if they are good or not. Seems like they would be comfortable.

I would like to know too. They look wonderful.

I haven't seen that, I will definitely look for it. I have one of the purple round cushions. Really wouldn't recommend it, it's like sitting on a soft rubber ball. There is definitely some core muscles being used for balance. I purchased it hoping to put it down on standard chairs at retreats and bee. It elevates about 2 inches, making the sewing surface the correct height on standard folding tables.

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I haven't seen that, I will definitely look for it. I have one of the purple round cushions. Really wouldn't recommend it, it's like sitting on a soft rubber ball. There is definitely some core muscles being used for balance. I purchased it hoping to put it down on standard chairs at retreats and bee. It elevates about 2 inches, making the sewing surface the correct height on standard folding tables.
    Several people in our quilt guild use them, me included. They all seem to lose air after a time.

I've never heard of them. But then I'm often out of the loop on the latest and greatest.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Ok, losing air was really what I wondered about and being comfortable. prices are low to high. So, not on my list now! thanks.

I have 1 that is not inflated. I would like to cut it a bit smaller. It is 2" thick & is comfy except that it is also 2" at the edge of my sewing chair & there is some pressure under my leg. If it were beveled at that edge it would be great.

Saw a TV show were they were testing out various new inventions and they tested the cushion you asked about.....the egg did sometimes break! So it's not guaranteed and also depends on a persons weight. For my sewing chair I use the round purple air cushion with the little nubs to help circulation in the backside and lower back. It's called The Gypsy Sit Upon....for me it was a God-send!

If the cushion is too large, try trimming it with your electric knife. I have trimmed many oversized projects with said knife and they work just fine. (I just replaced worn out cushions with a long piece of foam which I trimmed with my electric knife after I measured and marked the foam. )

I have one! I like it as it helps with posture and back support. It takes a while to get used to balance when you first sit on it. It is especially helpful to take to a quilt class where you will be sitting for hours.