Simple Quilts

Old 10-06-2017, 04:33 PM

I have a couple of "boards" on Pinterest - one is "Quilts I could never make" and another one is "Easy Quilts" - and I look at my Easy Quilts a lot more than the fancy ones. And, it looks like I like quilts with a lot of white in them.

PS - Missouri Star Quilting Co, is a follower of my Quilts I could never make board!
Old 10-06-2017, 04:44 PM

I like to use simple patterns and to let the fabrics do the speaking. I came too late to quilting and have too many I want to do to start an intricate one. I prefer quilted to tied, but not closely quilted. The only one I closely quilted made me nervous and I couldn't wait to get it out of the house. Now I admire it on my daughter's wall, but it's not for me.
I make quilts to be tied for our church's Prayers and Squares program, but I rarely tie one. I find it very hard on my hands so I start cutting the next one while two others put the ties in. These have to have ties so congregation members can tie the knots as they say a prayer for the recipient. Tied quilts do have their place.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

Bear, I love my hand quilted quilts. they seem warmer because they have little pillows of hot air. I love the simple things too. I haven't tied a quilt in over 30 yrs, and want to do one. I love churn dash in 2 colors and scrappy.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

Bear, I love simple quilts and I think they will always have a place in the quilt world.
Today I started cleaning out my room- got so discouraged. Way too much stuff. I need to make it so I can enjoy myself.
Anyway, I found some tops I made that I don't like at all and have no plans to finish them. There are too many others I want to do that I'm not going to waste my time with them.
Bottom line- we need to do what brings us joy!
PS- I just got the Churn Dash Accuquilt die. I'm going to do a fussy cut center. Saw one here and loved it!
Old 10-06-2017, 06:37 PM

While I can appreciate the amazingly complicated and beautiful quilts, I want to make simple ones myself. At least for now anyway.

I want quilting to be fun, not a chore, and I think too difficult of a pattern would kill my groove.

I do use fabrics that are fun, or that I really like, to keep the interest going for me. I adore my first finished quilt (a Grinch quilt) because it's just so fun.

I almost having my sewing room ready to set up the mega quilter and frame. I think it will be fun to do some larger quilts more quickly, but still don't plan to do a lot of close quilting. I like a little more room between my stitches.

I have some tied quilts that my aunt made for me when I was little. They were just as warm and loved as any quilted one would have been.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:44 PM

Are you looking for pattern ideas?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

I love simple quilts. Actually they are all fantastic to me. A quilt done with just alternating blocks with pretty colors can look amazing on a bed.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:19 AM

I've always said I'm a simple quilter but they always turn out fantastic. I believe it's because of my fabric choices. I am cleaning out my sewing room and came across blocks I made years ago and was too new of a quilter to finish them, just simple 4 patch blocks. I made two charity quilt tops for children and then made two more from other blocks found. My favorite block of all is the churn dash. I'm not a tied quilt person but I do like simple with the quilting, and especially I'm not fond of these heavily quilted ones.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 AM

I love the disappearing 9 patch. It is so simple and the end results look like they are a lot of work.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I love easy quilts. I have made the Boxed Squares at least 12 times. It can be very impressive with a lot of colors or a person can use just a few. I did one with tans and browns. It came out great.