Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Car

We went car shopping this weekend, Dh is thinking of a Smart car.
    It scares me ... how in the world would my sewing machine and my stuff fit. I need another SUV!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3incollege
    It scares me ... how in the world would my sewing machine and my stuff fit. I need another SUV!!
    I have a friend with a Smart Car. She is also a quilter. She puts all her stuff in the back....and I mean she has to really pack it well to get her sewing machine and all her other stuff in it. I personally don't like them. It made me feel as if I were stuffed into a cocoon and wasn't able to move very much. That and I sorta like to be AWAY from the front end of the car. LOL

I've seen those cars. Are they safe? Are they pricey? They remind me of the car in the old Grape Ape cartoons. I drive an SUV but that car sure would fit well in my garage!:)

Power Poster
    i personally dont think i would want one no matter you hits you its scary

Quote Originally Posted by QUILTNMO
    i personally dont think i would want one no matter you hits you its scary
    They don't look like there is much if any protection do they?

We have a Smart Car. we've had it for three years now and we love love love it! It's red and black with a vanity plate that says..Tiny Red... Its amazing how much room there is inside. I also have a Mazda Millenia and I don't have the room that 'Tiny' does. Its also amazing how much you can get into it. Try it, you'll like it.

When we were in London they were everywhere. They looked so cute. They aren't very expensive I think around $15,000, which is alot cheaper than the one I want.

I wonder how they handle in the snow and icy conditions? They scare me...

Quote Originally Posted by SUZAG
    I wonder how they handle in the snow and icy conditions? They scare me...
    This car would not be our only car, probably just a summer car.
    Heck, it is so small we could tuck it in the corner of the garage. I really don't know how it would handle in snow.

They look too small for me.

LOL perfect excuse not to get a car that looks like a shoe.

If I can't fit at least one 200 crate in the back, preferably two, it's useless to me! After driving my he-man mini van, it looks so tiny-like the cars on the Mini Mouse ride. Probably fun to drive though, maybe like a bug?

Banned
    I have seen the smart cars around here but they never caught on. I would buy one of those new Fords like my sis just picked up (Fiesta) she gets 40mpg+ on the road and 30 something in the city. The new Fiat 500 and the Mini Coopers are really neat and nostalgic.

But I drive this everyday and it gets 21mpg in the city and almost 32mpg on the road with the A/C on and with 435hp it will out run most cars on the road in style!

Billy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Billy, What kind of car is this?? It is beautiful!!

Banned
    Oh it is a 1951 Ford Tudor Sedan, I have a late model driveline, power everything, and it is fun as it comes to drive!

Every panel on the car has been modified some how and it has more parts off of other cars than you can think of. It has a 1957 Chevy front bumper, 55 Oldsmobile grille, 1950 Mercury grille opening, 1955 Pontiac trim, 1949 Lincoln steering wheel, I pie cut the front fenders and leaned them forward 2 1/2 ", shaved the door handles and emblems, frenched the headlights and taillights. Just too many things done on the car it would be easier to tell you what I left alone LOL!!

I have had this car since I was 13 and I am in my mid 40's now. This has not been the only car I have had but the one with the staying power!

Billy

I have a Smart and I love it. Hubby keeps telling me I am going to get a speeding ticket in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Before buying, check the safety rating of the car. All the money in the world won't replace a loved one killed in a car that wasn't big enough to protect them in an accident. Also, seeing where you live, check how it will handle on icy, snowy roads.

I wouldnt trade my pickup if they were giving away small cars! haul a quilting frame? no problem! garage sales with large items? it will fit. . .gotta have a truck!

The Chef at the Country Club I work at has had one for a few years and loves it. He brings his clubs to work occasionally.

I was in an accident and had a fractured sternum and 2 fractured front teeth that had to have crowns. I'm a careful driver and never thought I'd be in an accident but she pulled out in front of me on a highway. I'm scared enough in my big car so would never drive one of the tiny ones.

I saw one of these after an accident in town here...in our 25 PH zone... with a pickup..was not pretty. I will see if I can find the pictures of it from our local paper and post them. It made the front page because of the smallness of the car and how much smaller it was from the accident. She t-boned a truck that pulled out in front of her. She was hurt..he was not.

I also have a Smart Car. It is our only car. It is quite roomy inside for just two. I take all my stuff ( machines, etc) to classes without any problems. I quilt with a church group and do quilts for local VA's, nursing homes and shelters. I have had it for 3 years and we have not had any problems. The car has excellent crash test ratings. I do take it on the interstates, but I prefer the back roads as you can find more quilt shops. LOL

The majority of people do not know that the crash test ratings on cars, are not ratings compared to all other type of cars. They are comparing to other vehicles of equal size.. not sizes above or below that car. The smart car does rate very well for THAT size group.. but they also say, if you want safety for a headon crash..go bigger. They also said this car is more for around town driving..not very safe for interstate driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I have seen the smart cars around here but they never caught on. I would buy one of those new Fords like my sis just picked up (Fiesta) she gets 40mpg+ on the road and 30 something in the city. The new Fiat 500 and the Mini Coopers are really neat and nostalgic.

But I drive this everyday and it gets 21mpg in the city and almost 32mpg on the road with the A/C on and with 435hp it will out run most cars on the road in style!

Billy
    Love your car Billy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Oh it is a 1951 Ford Tudor Sedan, I have a late model driveline, power everything, and it is fun as it comes to drive!

Every panel on the car has been modified some how and it has more parts off of other cars than you can think of. It has a 1957 Chevy front bumper, 55 Oldsmobile grille, 1950 Mercury grille opening, 1955 Pontiac trim, 1949 Lincoln steering wheel, I pie cut the front fenders and leaned them forward 2 1/2 ", shaved the door handles and emblems, frenched the headlights and taillights. Just too many things done on the car it would be easier to tell you what I left alone LOL!!

I have had this car since I was 13 and I am in my mid 40's now. This has not been the only car I have had but the one with the staying power!

Billy
    She's a beauty! Would she be called a hybrid? LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast