Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smart phone Zombies

Blog Entries

Smart phone Zombies

It is a world wide epidemic. It seems to have infected all people under the age of 30. I have observed couples in fine dining restaurants who spend 90% of their time interacting with their phones rather than each other. People walk down busy streets all the while texting/reading. I wonder what the implications for society will be with the next generation being raised by zombies. I enjoy and embrace technology - but when does it all become too much?
    Valerie

Blog Entries
    Not only has it taken over their ability to walk without their phones, they also have to use their phones while driving.

Blog Entries
    Went to a Christmas Party last week. The Hostess glanced up to say Hi, then proceeded to look down on her phone for another half hour. Lady next to her was already there, also into her phone. So I laughed and said, 'You guys look like you are talking to each other'. Thought that may get my message across. Then comes my daughter, plops down on the couch, phone in hand - adding one more!!!!! I wanted to go home.

I see so many parents with their eyes glued to their phone and their kids are just there, no interacting with them, no talking but to look up now and then and say just a minute. I don't care what they think they are doing but the truth is you are instilling in the kids minds that my time with my phone is more important then you are.

I videoed my DD sitting and looking at her phone while my grand was pulling on her, wanting her to look at his truck. She glanced up and said a few words to him and went back to her phone. The look on the grands face was heartbreaking. My grand finally gave up and walked away. She saw the video and was upset with herself. She had no idea. She got a wake up call and put a stop to her actions. I want to tell parents I see at the park, at the store, at the Dr. office, PUT DOWN YOUR PHONES.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 12-14-2015 at 05:20 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Onebyone, I agree with you. I was grocery shopping and a young mom had a 3 year old in the cart seat who was jabbering away. Mom too was jabbering away---on her phone. What a shame. She could have been teaching the child colors, numbers, or just giggling with her. It made me so sad I wanted to cry for that little child.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

...and these "phones" just keep doing more and more....smart phones/dumb users...

Perfect term for these phones users.

We carry an old fashioned flip phone. I spend as little time as I can on it. It mainly goes in my purse when we leave the house. otherwise it still around looking like a knick-knack.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I see so many parents with their eyes glued to their phone and their kids are just there, no interacting with them, no talking but to look up now and then and say just a minute. I don't care what they think they are doing but the truth is you are instilling in the kids minds that my time with my phone is more important then you are.

I videoed my DD sitting and looking at her phone while my grand was pulling on her, wanting her to look at his truck. She glanced up and said a few words to him and went back to her phone. The look on the grands face was heartbreaking. My grand finally gave up and walked away. She saw the video and was upset with herself. She had no idea. She got a wake up call and put a stop to her actions. I want to tell parents I see at the park, at the store, at the Dr. office, PUT DOWN YOUR PHONES.
    Glad to see she saw what she was doing. And is working on correcting it. I yell at people who drive and text or are talking on their phones. I am reminded daily of the horrors distracted drivers inflict. The constant pain on my shoulders and the titanium cage around my cervical spine along with the 3" scar on my neck remind me.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I agree with all of you. They need to learn to put there phone down. I also have what I call my dumb dumb phone (flip phone). I carry it in case of emergency.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I agree with all the comments. People are not talking to each other anymore, also they are not talking to their children. It is disturbing to say the least. I, also, have a flip phone for emergencies like my DH calling to ask when I will be home. lol
    Sue

Blog Entries
    My two youngest kids and thier better halves are connected to their phones. They all know that the best way to get me is on my home phone unless at work. When I'm at home I rarely know where my phone is. They also know unless its really important don't leave me a message because I rarely check them and at home its never on a daily bases. My sister will text me but doesn't get upset if I don't text back because she knows I"m not into that either. During my work week she'll email me and knows I'll respond back.

I'm just starting to date and the guy will text me and it might be the next day before I respond. I tell him, its just not that important to me and that if he really wants to contact me, call me. I'll check it off and on thru out the day but don't worry if its out of site. People use them way too much and alot of time are ignoring the ones right in front of them.
    Judy

My three year old grand will now say NO phone! NO phone! when he sees his mom or dad looking at their phone when with him. His dad will leave the room if he has to deal with a work call so the kids won't see him on his phone while with them. My DD did a complete turn around about phone use when with her kids.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Sad, very sad in particular when I see children trying to talk to their parent and the parent isn't paying attention. It's irritating when I'm with a friend and they keep looking at their phone to see who's "buzzing" on their device. I text and email, but I try to "be in the moment" when I'm spending time with someone.
    Lori

I keep my phone on silent when with anyone. If it is an emergency I'll know by a glance. If someone keeps poking at the phone when with me I just talk louder and louder. I say I want you to be able to hear me over your phone.

Blog Entries
    I refuse to give out my mobile number. I use it for an emergency only. I object to everyone which includes dr and dentists asking for a mobile number. I have a land line that should be good enough. I travel by bus, cheap travel, and am fed up listening to other people's conversations at the top of their voice. In UK there is a ban on driving and using mobile. I see no evidence that people have stopped using them. I live in an area where signals are difficult to get so around me there is a limit of use in our village.
    Finished is better than a UFO

[
    QUOTE=OhCanada;7403255]It is a world wide epidemic. It seems to have infected all people under the age of 30. I have observed couples in fine dining restaurants who spend 90% of their time interacting with their phones rather than each other. People walk down busy streets all the while texting/reading. I wonder what the implications for society will be with the next generation being raised by zombies. I enjoy and embrace technology - but when does it all become too much?[/QUOTE]

It's not just people under 30.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    Went to a Christmas Party last week. The Hostess glanced up to say Hi, then proceeded to look down on her phone for another half hour. Lady next to her was already there, also into her phone. So I laughed and said, 'You guys look like you are talking to each other'. Thought that may get my message across. Then comes my daughter, plops down on the couch, phone in hand - adding one more!!!!! I wanted to go home.
    I have gotten to the point that if people cannot put down their phones, I leave.

Blog Entries
    When did people become so needy for shallow connections. Remember when we left the house and were unavailable for hours? Our lives were not less.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

*** It is totally disgusting when two people out on a date are texting someone or each other.
    *** That would be a total turn off if a date started texting or even answering a call while with me.
    *** On Dr. Phil a couple of weeks ago a lady was in hysterics and withdrawal when
    *** her phone was taken away.
    *** No call is that important.
    *** PUT THE PHONE AWAY & look at the world.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Power Poster
    I agree that it is a sad commentary on our society. We need 1 on 1 interaction, so we can talk to each other when we are together. I've gotten upset with my DD several times when she was home to visit, and she spent over half the time texting. Our time together is always limited and I want to spend it with her, not her and her texting.

Also could they talk quietly when . out in public. I really don't care to hear all you and your family's personal buisness Diane C.

I know! I resent it when people start talking on their phones in restaurants and waiting rooms. Also, I have dinner about once a week with a group of friends and two of the guys invariably start spending more time checking their messages than they do the current conversations. It is just SO RUDE!!!!

And I DO have a smart phone and I really appreciate texting to set times and dates to meet friends as it is much quicker and more convenient than phone or email (took me awhile to get there ). I'm currently spending more time at doctor's offices and hospitals than anywhere else and it has been wonderful to have my phone paired to my car for verification of appointments, etc. Otherwise, my phone is used sparingly and if I need to take a call when in a public place, I remove myself to a private area.
    Last edited by sparkys_mom; 12-15-2015 at 02:07 PM.
    Pat

I just l Ve my iPhone 6p and its with me almost everywhere. But I am so not glued to it. I couldn't walk and text if I tried - couldn't walk a straight line completely sober😄 Anyway, I see all ages of people doing this including my niece and her kids ages 12 and almost 9. The 9 year old just plays Gomes on something, don't know what but she's always doing it. And at restaurants when I'm up visiting - so rude. I'm old (68) but I love technology - but it doesn't rule my life. I sincerely doubt if people will change unless they see a video as a previous writer mentioned. What a perfect solution!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC - it's about 10 degrees cooler in Phoenix where I used to live - in the DESERT!! - than it is here!! What gives??

Young moms and dads please take note of this conversation . I am an ER nurse . I have had several teens come in either already mildly to moderately overdosing or threatening to kill them selves . When we get to the bottom of the reason they are literally hysterical over a parent taking away their phones . Now before you comment that these kids have other issues which I am sure they do , however the trigger that pushed them was the cell phone issue . I had a mental health counselor ( they come in to evaluate any one that threatens suicide ) tell me some are considering the punishment of taking a kids cell phone a form of abuse ! So I guess my point is please set an example on your own cell usage and please limit these young teens usage . I also get so tired of the patients I take care of not even being able to get off the phone to get a basic set of vitals completed . I know this is long but this is a serious issue . I actually took care of a young girl that died because she took pills to make a point to get her phone back , unfortunately she took too many of the wrong kind .......

Blog Entries
    Just because it was just on TV..- Did you know that the flashlight apps from "google play" are actually spying on you? Yup, if you set it up, it wants to use your location, friends list, contacts, Facebook etc. It does not need all that info to be a flashlight, but if you answer the questions no, it will not let you set it up! Does not apply to " App Store" on Apple products.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast