Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
So many, TOO many, dogs and cats >

So many, TOO many, dogs and cats

So many, TOO many, dogs and cats

Old 06-23-2016, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

June 4th i was gifted with a tiny kitten. Only a few weeks old, I guessed it had not been with a mamma very long. It was a bag of bones. Not sure how it made it to my backyard. Of course I brought it inside, took to the Vet. For Feluke test, negative and 1st kitty shots. I had to teach it to use litter box. Too tiny for Vet. to tell it's sex. It is a female, usually all are males. She will get spayed as soon as she is old enough. All my animals are fixed as soon as they are old enough.
I don't go to rescues places, I have a steady supply. A neightbor found 30 cats/kittens in our area. He found homes for 20 and kept 10. They are about 5-10 yrs old now.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:20 PM

my Jack Russell, Todie, is a rescue dog...he is my child now that my real children are grown....he is lots of company but a handful...very active dog...but great fun....however he should really be a dog for a young active child...older parents are not the best thing for Jack Russell's but he adores me and is a happy dog...lol
Old 06-23-2016, 02:52 PM

All of my dogs are rescues. I work with

http://www.btrescueoklahoma.com/

I do home inspections for them. Help with transporting dogs. Pull/ buy dogs
out of bad situations and get them to rescue.

Please do NOT buy dogs from back yard breeders or chain pet stores.

MY cutie avatar is a craigslist rescue. Her name is Bonnie.

Last edited by Flowergurl; 06-23-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:01 AM

At one time I had five rescue dogs and five rescue cats of various ages and they all played nice together. Over the years most died of old age, one had seizures and was unable to stand, three developed cancer. My one remaining is Macha, 13, she has cataracts and is deaf, but otherwise is in excellent health for her age.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:43 AM

Flowergurl: I do rescue, too! Chicago English Bulldog Rescue. Adorable pooches. But people either find them adorable or mildly 'cute ugly'.
LOL

Rescue all the way
Old 06-24-2016, 05:26 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552735[/ATTACH]
We adopted Dharma from a petfinder adoption
at a local pet store. Not the pup I planned on
looking at from on-line, so many wanting the
same litter. I asked the lady to pick one for me...
there was about 30 people and only 10 dogs. I am in love with her.
We haven't had a dog for years and so happy to have
rescued one.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 06-24-2016, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by tlpa View Post
I am a rescue mom (2 former stray cats and a high-kill pound dog with no time left..all about 10yrs old now), as well as a foster mom for cats & dogs from a local Rescue League. Rescues and shelters are so in need of fosters that it might be worth considering for people who don't want to take on a pet for the rest of their lifetimes. I only take either 1 foster dog, or 1 cat at a time, or one litter of kittens because of my own 3. I think though when my own pets pass, I will only foster. I know fostering was life-saving for many of the animals that came through my house, and I would like to help more.
Yes, once mu beloved Peaches passed (that's her in the picture) I will only foster. A friend said she truly feared out living her pets and what would happen to them. I see her point. We have always had animals and always will but as fosters. Where I know they will be taken care of if the worse happens.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:00 AM

We just adopted our 2 most recent pound babies. A 9 month old brother and sister pair. They had been adopted about 5 months ago by someone else, who then returned them when the wife got pregnant. We love them and they're great "tech support." They love to walk on our keyboards.

This is the first time we adopted litter mates. It was easier than adopting 2 separate animals and trying to introduce them to each other, which is what we had done before.

DH and I have missed having cats around. We had to put our last 2 down a couple of years ago. Most of our cats have been pound babies.

I agree that it is hard to go to the shelters and look, because there are so many. We adopted ours from a foster mom affiliated with Heaven Can Wait (a local pet rescue).
Old 06-24-2016, 01:23 PM

I've had five rescue dogs over the year. Three of them are still with me. They're the best <3

It is sad now many dogs are abandoned. The dachshund rescue I work with has almost 60 right now and they are one of 3 dachshund rescues in Houston.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:50 AM

Soooo sad.